« Can Local Art Help Old Brooklyn Thrive? | Main | All About Cupcakes and Community Stuff »

March 19, 2009

Saturday of Service is Happening in Old Brooklyn, March 28

Now that spring has arrived, we're ready to hang some art!

A group of us will be meeting up at the Gavin Lee Party Center near Broadview and Pearl Roads in Old Brooklyn on Saturday, March 28. Stop by anytime between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and you can help us wash windows and display some of the art we've been creating all winter.

For the past two months, we've been working with students from Michael R. White Elementary School to create some colorful art from recycled cardboard, hubcaps, and other materials.

I also started collaborating with folks from the Case recycling center. That's where I'm finding all the cardboard and colored paper we're able to use for some of our art projects. Special thanks to Eugene Matthews, Linda Robson, and Danny Merritt for giving me an opportunity to dig through their recycle bins. Ditto for the guys at Case Printing Services, who have graciously allowed me to pick through all their recycled paper from time to time.

We also held an event at Case on February 28 and students created nearly three dozen pieces of art. Special thanks to Alex Galante and Pyone Thi who organized this Greek service event. In addition to creating art for my project, students assisted several other non-profits on that day.

Two weeks later, I met up with Erin Mason, the art teacher at William Cullen Bryant School in Old Brooklyn. She let me raid the school's art gallery, so I now have a bunch of art created by WCB elementary school students.

I've been receiving a great deal of support from all over Cleveland. The same day I met with Erin, I met with Jill Riegelmayer, a resident of Ward 15 who works at the Southwest Activity Center, which is affiliated with the Cuyahoga County Board of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities. She introduced me to Danny Tinarello, a wonderful artist who creates essays and amazing art that is sold through Cleveland's HeARTworks. I will be working with Danny and his art teacher, Craig Sullivan, who also volunteers over at Art House, Inc., a non-profit organization in Brooklyn Centre.

Two hours after I met with Jill and Danny, I drove out to Garfield Heights to pick up 10 beautifully painted pieces that was loaned to us by Amy Kreiger. We are thrilled at Amy's generosity and her art is truly one-of-a-kind.

On top of all this, I just learned that one of our Case students, Ben Meck, will be working with locals to design a mural at Mr. E's Inn on Pearl Road. Ben will be stopping by on March 28 to meet with the owner, Hal Esterwood.

With all the redistricting chaos that's going on in the city, I'm looking forward to the 28th, when we can all come together as a community to celebrate Old Brooklyn. Please join us, or e-mail me if you have some ideas on how to move this project forward. What a great way to celebrate the spring!

Posted by mcd34 at March 19, 2009 09:33 PM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/cleveland/mt-tb.cgi/20019