« First Signs of Spring? | Main | Storefront Art 2.0 »

February 23, 2011

Bits and Pieces (I Forgot to Post)

-- A special shout out to all those Case students who tend to make something happen at the drop of a hat. When Mary Thompson and Matthew McPheeters were looking for a cleanup project here in the city, I wanted to see if something could be done on Quincy Avenue. So they rallied a group of students to walk from 94th to 89th streets and clean up some litter along the way. It always brings a smile to my face when I know that Case students are out there making a difference.

And Speaking of Difference

-- What a difference a couple of years make! I had been hoping to work with the Center for Civic Engagement and other university groups to see if we could get students more engaged on the west side of Cleveland. Since that time, Case students have been working on a number of projects in Ohio City, Detroit Shoreway, Clark Metro and downtown.

In addition to helping the Brooklyn Centre Orchard and Old Brooklyn neighborhoods, Case students are also assisting the Brooklyn Centre Community Association and Brooklyn Centre Naturalists. They've done an incredible job assisting with the 39th Street Garden and landscaping the lot at West 36th and Denison.

So What's the Plan for This Summer?

Until my furnace is officially off, it's hard to start thinking about summer. But it's OK to think about last summer since there were a lot of things I wanted to blog about ...

-- On July 25, I volunteered at the Burning River Fest where folks converged on Whiskey Island and Wendy Park. If you want to know how to help out with the local environment, this event is a must. They should be posting some information about the 2011 event, so look for that information soon. Good people, cold beer, great bands ... what more could you want?

-- On August 19, Case Connects was held for first-year students. We had wonderful weather for the event, and it was a great way to introduce hundreds of new students to community service in Cleveland. I was able to participate by taking photos for Case and following some students along on their adventures at Lake Erie, as well as the non-profits they assisted on the east and west sides of town.

-- If you've never heard of River Sweep at the Cleveland Zoo, that's another eye-opening experience. The annual event is organized by Friends of Big Creek and is always well attended. Last year, I joined 44 of my closest friends to clean up the Zoo's watershed. Members of our local community joined the Cleveland Metroparks staff to haul metals, plastics and tires out of Big Creek.

Among the finds? More than 1,660 lbs. of scrap metal, plus a vintage clock, guard rail and Barbie doll.

-- Over in Summit County, I attended a fundraiser for City Fresh, which was held at the Pure Intentions Wheatgrass and School of Energy building. About 60 people attended the event while folks from Chrissy Hynde's Vegeterranean restaurant served up a delicious meal made from locally grown foods. The spotlight also shined on a number of talented musicians from Akron that day. Thank you Kathy Evans and Karen Gee for a wonderful event.

-- Last but not least, the annual Saturday of Service event sponsored by the Case Center for Civic Engagement and Learning was held last April. This event assists numerous non-profits in the Cleveland area, including many in my own neighborhood. I can't say enough about all the Case students that continue to give of their volunteer time. Cleveland appreciates you more than you know!

Posted by mcd34 at February 23, 2011 11:15 PM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/cleveland/mt-tb.cgi/24440