Hiring A Bank Teller*

I had mixed feelings about the exercise we went over in class about the disabled woman applying for the job as a bank teller. The background of this story was one I was very familiar with; I had a part-time job my freshman year as a bank teller at the First Miami Credit Union, at the time one of only eight entirely student run credit unions in the country. The job of a bank teller is one that requires above all other things, trust and communication skills, two qualities that Anna clearly possessed. However, I feel it is important to note that Dave was trying to hire an employee for a specific job, one that required lots of movement. In this light I feel that Dave is still at fault, but rather for the unspecific advertisement. While Anna has the skills and confidence required for the job of being a teller, she doesn’t fulfill the mobility requirement of the job that Dave is hiring for; this is a difficult scenario, I think honesty from the start would have saved the awkwardness.

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/corn/mt-tb.cgi/3206

When I was reading David's blog, I agreed with him on a couple of points. When I read the handout, at first I thought that he shouldn't hire her because of the mobility factor. I worked at a place over the summer where I was in a small workspace, but it required a lot of movement. Someone in a wheelchair couldn't work there because it just wasn't wheelchair accessible. However, I feel that she was completely qualified for this job, especially compared to the others who applied, and the one he hired. Once I looked at every aspect, I completely changed my mind. In this case, I think meeting all the qualifications required in the advertisement was more important than her being in a wheelchair or not. Also, I agree with David when he said that Dave was at fault for an "unspecific advertisement." I feel that if the mobility issue was big enough not to hire her, it was big enough to be included in the advertisement. Anna has a right to be upset and file a lawsuit, if it was me, I know I would.

This is cool, you have to try it. I guessed 32148, and this game guessed it! See it here - http://www.funbrain.com/guess/

If you have entered an email address in the box, clicking this checkbox will subscribe your email address to this entry so that you are notified if any updates or additional comments occur on the entry.