CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

Chuck Yoder

Random Stuff That Probably Only Apply To Me...

Mac OS X Address Book & 1and1.com Exchange Servers

I've "outsourced" my Case email address to an Exchange hosting company called 1and1.com. After getting bit with the loss of email less than a year ago due to the SAN failure, I decided to try and find a good alternative.

I use Microsoft Outlook at work. I also happen to use a Mac at home but I was never happy with Entourage. After reading some documents, I found that Mac OS X Panther just happens to support Exchange with their own Mail client. Also, I knew Address Book supported Exchange server syncing but I could never get it working for one reason or another. Well last night, I struck gold!

• In Address Book, goto the Preferences menu.

• Glaring at you is a Sync with Exchange server option. Check it.

• Click Configure. You'll be presented with your login information and server.

Username: EXCHANGE\e########
Password: Your 1and1 password
Outlook Web Access Server: http://exchange.1and1.com/exchange/e########
1and1-Exchange.jpg

• When you click OK, Address Book tries to help you by filling in more information that ends up breaking the syncing process. Go back into Configure and change it back to http://exchange.1and1.com/exchange/e########.

• Click Ok again and then open iSync.

• Make sure to click Exchange and tell iSync how you want to deal with your first sync.

• Finally click the Sync button and pray.

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/cry2/mt-tb.cgi/827

Chuck...you're awesome! Thank you so much for the Exchange/Mac Address Book tips. This has been driving me crazy! 1and1 says they don't support Mac Address Book but obviously it works.

Posted by: David at August 18, 2006 11:06 AM

Chuck, you are The Man I have been beating my head against this for two solid days with two separate exchange servers. I swear I tried every possible configuration. Yours finally worked but I had to shutdown PocketMac to do the sync. Thats OK, PocketMac needs to be removed, it does not work with WM 5.0 and probably never will.

I have gotten iCal and tasks to sync via Groupcal if you need the settings for that.

Did you OS X Mail to work using the Exchange configuration or the IMAP configuration? I have gotten the IMAP to work and don't really see any added benefit to getting the Exchange configuration to work.

Thank you for your efforts and sharing information.

-j

Posted by: J at September 4, 2006 08:13 PM

I have 1and1 and a new Mac Book Pro. But I can not get address book to sync. Now the one thing that is missing from above, is iSync does not say "exchange"? Am I missing something? I have Mac OS/2 10.4.8

Thanks for any help!

Posted by: Curtis Muir at January 15, 2007 11:49 AM

I do not get "Exchange" in iSync, after doing the above? Please help me. I have 10.4.8d OS/X

Posted by: Curtis at January 16, 2007 11:09 AM

hi Chuck,

I have had 1and1 exchange for well over a year and i think i've had about 5 months of solid connectivity. The rest of the time it struggles both my PC and my MAC struggle to connect. Currently, Entourage says "not connected" yet my PC is receiving mail JUST FINE. Any ideas?

Steve

Posted by: Steve at September 27, 2007 04:02 PM

hi Chuck,

I have had 1and1 exchange for well over a year and i think i've had about 5 months of solid connectivity. The rest of the time both my PC and my MAC struggle to connect. Currently, Entourage says "not connected" yet my PC is receiving mail JUST FINE. Any ideas?

Steve

Posted by: Steve at September 27, 2007 04:03 PM

thanks for the info, it worked like a charm

Posted by: chrishd2 at February 21, 2008 12:31 AM

This is GREAT!! Thank you so much for all the tips. It's also great to find out that I'm not the only person that was becoming crazy because of this this stuff.
Thanks again!

Posted by: Uxia at May 27, 2008 09:48 PM