CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

Chuck Yoder

Random Stuff That Probably Only Apply To Me...

iTunes@Case - Part II

I'd like to explore my previous idea of iTunes@Case a little further. As I stated before, Stanford has used iTunes as a media content delivery platform free and available to use for all. With Aaron Shaffer and the Freedman Center leading the way by helping Case create podcasting content on the excellent Blog@Case system, is it time to explore using iTunes as a media content delivery platform for here at Case as well?

I believe the answer is a resounding yes. I would imagine however, that creating enough content to make the system worthwhile would be the biggest barrier. We have to start somewhere. Edmunds.com is using iTunes and podcasting technology to delivery free video reviews of various cars delivered straight to the consumer. What if we did the same thing with Case's content?

Off the top of my head, the two departments I support, Human Resources and the Controller's Office, both have different gatherings that would make sense to record and be made available for all Case employees online. For HR, the Open Forum Benefit's Meetings; for the Controller's Office, the yearly Information Sessions.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of meetings and forums that would make sense for other departments. Aaron recently brought up the ITS Open Forums. Recordings can be made of the Commencement Addresses, as was done at Stanford. The Athletic Department could get involved by providing game coverage.

Professors could even record their various lectures and place them online. It would fit right in line with the Open Courseware initiative. Think of it: a new way to entice new students to come to Case; a try-before-you-buy method so to speak. Potential students could access a variety of content and see the quality of the professors here at Case and make a more informed choice of the school they choose to attend. Get them hooked on a lecture series, for example, and they'll beg to see more. Sure, you can see more! Just head right on down to the Admissions Office.

So, string enough quality content together and you start to have something worthwhile. However, finding your content can start to become a problem. For that you need a depository, a one-stop-shop. The solution Stanford chose was iTunes and the final product is brilliant and something I'd love to see here one day.

So let's go out there and make some content!

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/cry2/mt-tb.cgi/5071

Chuck, I think you are correct on every count. It is a very exciting proposition.

Thanks to Lev, I already have a meeting with someone from Apple the first week 2006. Let's get this ball rolling!

Posted by: Aaron Shaffer at December 22, 2005 10:46 AM

Just try to have an alternate content delivery vehicle as well for people (like me) who don't like iTunes or run a platform that iTunes doesn't support (I don't see any mention of SharpMusique on itunes.stanford.edu).

Posted by: Alex at December 23, 2005 07:06 AM

Hi Alex,
That's a great point. Our podcasting has been done using MP3 files syndicated via RSS. Both are standards compliant, so anyone can write a frontend aggregator for it. iTunes is just the most popular one.

Posted by: Aaron Shaffer at December 23, 2005 12:52 PM

Alex, as a Mac user who can't access the ipTV content from the Case portal, I feel your pain and agree. Sure it's nice to have a nice feature rich offical application to manage the content but there should always be at least a way to access the content regardless of what platform you run - perhaps an unoffical, maybe not as nice method.

I'm not claiming to know how the Stanford iTunes project works behind the scenes, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't just standard RSS feeds. Most can be "subscribed to" where it ends up in the podcasting section of iTunes. As long as all those feeds were published where the operating system of one's choice could access it, I see no problems.

Posted by: Chuck Yoder at December 24, 2005 10:36 AM

Sorry :(

Posted by: Anonymous at August 5, 2007 09:30 AM