« Troubleshooting profile unload issues | Main | Error editing SP2 policies from SP1 or 2003 Server »

March 13, 2005

Sysprep w/ XP SP2 & Default User profile

If you are using Sysprep to prepare computer images for Ghosting, and you are using XP SP2, and you have configured a Default User profile, then you need to call microsoft tech support and get the hotfix listed in this article:

KB887816: Changes in behavior of the SysPrep and RIPREP tools after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

The problem is that sysprep overwrites the custom Default User profile you've painstakingly created with the Administrator profile.

The latest version of sysprep is included in the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Deployment Tools - it seems to be newer than the copy in the DEPLOY.CAB file on the XP CD.

Posted by djc6 at March 13, 2005 02:36 PM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/djc6/mt-tb.cgi/660

What can I say ... you've just given me the solution for the last week of pain I've gone through. I should've just Googled this last week.

Thanks a bunch !

Posted by: Stephen Bell at November 29, 2005 12:15 AM

This has been superceded by KB894871 (which fixes some unsigned driver issues too). I can vouch that it works.

Pick up the hotfixes at http://www.thehotfix.net/

Posted by: Amdrew C at March 15, 2006 06:14 AM

First off - great blog! I ran into the same issue with sysprep and the admin profile. It cost me a day of work.

Posted by: Jon Olkowski at December 7, 2006 12:10 PM

Thank you so much! Just like most of you this also cost me a day!

Posted by: Michael at December 18, 2006 01:42 PM

Thanks. Another one who wasted day fixing odd problems with image that turned out to be due Default User corruption. I say corruption because undocumented change like this is plain idiotic, but what else could you expect from MS. :)

Also word of warning regarding thehotfix.net. It used to be forum and links to all those lovely hotfixes Microsoft is trying to hide. Today it's automated news aggregator filled with ads and forum that mainly hosts links to warez sites.

Don't waste your time with thehotfix.net, go straight to the fixes at http://hf.xable.net/. I still need to wait until tomorrow and call MS as we're using localized Windows version so can't comment what KB article is right one.

Posted by: J at January 7, 2007 03:14 PM

Hi can anyone help me please ?
I have created a temp user and setup apps, I now want to copy the user to the default profile but the option to copy is greyed out, I am logged on as administrator
Please help ...Thanks

Posted by: Andre at May 1, 2007 11:48 AM

Hey Andre,

I know it's 2+ months later and all but maybe someone else will find it useful. The "copy to" is greyed out if you have logged into your temp user account in that session. The answer is to reboot the machine and log straight into the admin account. The copy to option should now be available.

This is probably one of those tricks they teach you in those overpriced MS courses.

Posted by: Thomas at July 20, 2007 10:41 PM

Awsome! Many thank yous to you for this tip! It would have taken me days to figure out something so simple.

Karen

Posted by: Karen at December 21, 2007 01:13 PM

I just have to add a comment to this for others that may face the same issue I did. I've been fighting with sysprep and a custom default user profile for the better part of a day. In my experience the hotfix from MS only works if you run the sysprep mini setup. If you just do a regular sysprep and reseal and don't either choose mini setup from the GUI or specify mini setup from the command line the regular Windows Welcome will run and it still overides the defaut user profile with the administrator profile even after appying the hotfix. I only had success with the hotfix by using "c:\sysprep -mini -reseal" from the command line. For what it's worth...

Posted by: Craig at April 30, 2008 04:35 PM

How about creating your customer user and copy it to admin account and default user. would this not work ?

Posted by: ad at October 3, 2008 12:07 AM