« Moving NT4 Profiles to Active Directory | Main | FREE Print Quota Software for AD members ONLY »

May 18, 2005

Power Settings via Group Policy

I wanted to create a policy to set all of the laptops in the department to the same power scheme. This tool allows you to manage power options via Group Policy:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_power_mgt_ez_gpo

The EPA probably provided this link so you could easily allow systems to go into standby mode, but I want to use it to keep docked laptops on all the time :)

Posted by djc6 at May 18, 2005 12:05 AM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/djc6/mt-tb.cgi/1339

Due to one of MS's recent "patches," our computers have all magically changed to shut off after 15 minutes, so I was looking for an easy way to fix them all. However, this program is mostly worthless, since you have to have Group Policy anyway (which we do, in AD).
If you are just concerned with users changing the settings, you can just disable their access to that page. If you actually need to change the power profiles, you have to install client software on all the PCs! If I had the time and inclination to go around to all the PCs, I would just change the power settings by hand, since it would take about the same amount of time and not rely on EVERY SINGLE CLIENT having this stupid program in their Startup folder, JUST for this.
I'm sorry, but I cannot see any possible way this program is worth the time (2 minutes, even) I spent looking for it. It's a program written for the purpose of writing a program: the practical applications are extremely limited, unless you really do have a reason to change power profiles once a week...

Posted by: David Carroll at July 8, 2005 10:58 AM

You can deploy software via AD so you don't have to go around to every PC. If you still have to go around to every PC, at least you would know that the settings would be right and they would stay that way.

Posted by: MorfiusX at August 16, 2005 02:20 PM

Uh, David -

Learn Active Directory and Group Policy Management. Then you can flame.

Posted by: Bob at December 8, 2005 05:32 PM

So the question is...how do i use this tool to edit more advanced power schemes?

Posted by: Kenny Calero at December 12, 2005 10:57 AM

MorfiusX: Agree.

David: Power Settings are per-user based, so even if you use local admin to install all software and pre-set the machine's power settings, it'll revert back once other ppl log in with their domain user accounts. I'm having the same problem so I'm glad if I can control it through GPO.

Posted by: Leo J at January 4, 2006 02:44 PM

wow, this is the first time i can say "I love the EPA"

Posted by: Nick at January 24, 2006 07:10 PM

Why not use POWERCFG.EXE in the user logon script to set the power settings to a standard scheme?

Posted by: Anon at August 3, 2006 03:46 PM

All,
Can we set date and time on all the client system in windows 2000 domain through Group Policy.
Any feedback will greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Posted by: subramanya at August 23, 2006 05:40 AM

I have a problem with the installation.

I have added the EZ_GPO to an OU in my AD structure rather than the Default Domain Policy as I have some PC’s that do need to stay on at night.

I have not set the Hibernate until I’m happy with the Standby.

This is the problem I’ve got; the machines do not go into standby!?!

I am running a Windows 2000 DC with XP and 2000 clients.

This is what my registry settings are:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\TerraNovum\EZ_GPO\Simple]
"ACUserMonIdleTime"=dword:0000000f
"ACUserStandByIdleTime"=dword:000000f0
"ACMachHibernateIdleTime"=dword:00000000
"DCUserMonIdleTime"=dword:0000000f
"DCUserStandByIdleTime"=dword:0000001e
"DCMachHibernateIdleTime"=dword:0000003c

The monitor setting appears work OK, so what have I done wrong?

Posted by: KwiGoneJim at September 22, 2006 04:35 AM

Powercfg seems like the best option. Very simple and it doesn't require visiting each PC or installing any additional software.

For example, this is what I'm going to look at using:

powercfg /setactive "Always On"

I wonder if I can apply this as a Startup Script as opposed to a Logon Script since I want the computer to stay on even when no one is logged on.

Thanks for the post, David!

Posted by: at October 25, 2006 06:45 PM

I also have a problem. We have over 100 computers set into an AD structure that need to stay on all the time. We have multiple users at each work stations. Here is the problem. As it sits now the computers do not allow non admin users the ability to change the power settings at all on some of the computers. We have tried the energy star solution and that did not work the way we intended. Basicaaly what we are trying to do is set the power CPL to always on, but anytime a new person sits at that computer and logs in it messes up the power config for all users on that computer.

Posted by: Matthew Anders at November 13, 2006 10:31 AM

"David: Power Settings are per-user based, so even if you use local admin to install all software and pre-set the machine's power settings, it'll revert back once other ppl log in with their domain user accounts. "

Computer settings will always ovverride user settings in Group Policy unless you use GP loopback.

Posted by: george at November 16, 2006 05:46 AM

All-
I am having the same problems with the power settings in Win2K and WinXP. I fixed this with a group policy logon script and a simple program called REG.EXE (don't know where to find it-- google it, but be careful which one you download... seems there's a spyware app named the same.). First, i copied the registry settings (HKCU/Control Panel/ Powercfg) to a file, then set up the logon script. With REG.EXE, you can use switches to facilitate registry changes and you may need to use the runas command. I then piled all this into a .bat file to run at logon (use gpedit.msc to select a logon script). Pretty simple really... the computer is forced to adhere to the power settings no matter who logs in. You guys sound, pretty smart, so I'll let you figure out the rest and I will check back in a few hours.

Posted by: David K at February 8, 2008 11:14 AM

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Here are the different power settings found in the registry. Copy the text below into notepad, change to the number you would like the powerpolicy to be set to save as a reg file. Now go into your group policy under computer -> windows settings -> security settings -> registry and add it there. All set

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg]
"CurrentPowerPolicy"="3"

;Power Scheme (Default="0")
; "0" = Home/Office Desk
; "1" = Portable/Laptop
; "2" = Presentation
; "3" = Always On
; "4" = Minimal Power Management
; "5" = Max Battery

Posted by: steven at August 20, 2008 04:12 PM

It may be worth looking at Data Synergy's PowerMAN tool (www.datasynergy.co.uk). This is similar to EZ-GPO but offers a lot more configuration options including different policies for when nobody is logged on, shutdown on idle, logout on idle etc.

The most interesting thing though is that this tool charts the time computers are on and shows you the waste graphically. This can be really useful to trackdown problems.

Jim

Posted by: Jim at January 7, 2009 06:02 PM

Not sure how you're able to add a CURRENT_USER_KEY from the "Computers" part of a Group Policy.

When I go to add this Registry key the only "User" Registry key option I see is:

USERS\.DEFAULT

Which would take the back seat to whatever power policies a user has when they log in to that PC. (As this is a user setting, not a computer setting).

I suppose I could wrap this into a login script in a .bat file for those PCs.

Posted by: Alex P. at January 15, 2009 01:21 PM