« How to Check Password Age before moving to AD | Main | Imaging machines using different HALs w/sysprep »

August 28, 2005

Automated BartPE Ghost CD Installer

Recently Grayden MacLennan wrote to the Sysadmins Mailing List about using BartPE along with Ghost 8.x as a workaround for the Netgear GA621 DOS drivers not working in some buildings. BartPE will create a bootable windows CD, and from there we can run the slightly more reliable windows GA621 drivers and the windows Ghost32 client. The following is a list of instructions to recreate his work.

If you stop here, you'll be able to burn a BartPE disc with Ghost and the drivers for the Netgear GA621. I recommened you make at least one CD like this so you can can experiment with everything else BartPE has to offer, and also for use pulling a ghost image from a source machine. To create a fully automatic bootable client CD suitable for pushing an image out , perform this last step:

[General]
AutoStartNet=Yes
PromptForProfile=No
ShowGUI=No

[NetAdapter1]
EnableDHCP=Yes
UseStaticGateway=No
UseStaticDNS=No
UseStaticWINS=No
IPAddress=
SubnetMask=
DefaultGateway=
DNSServer=

[PostNetAutoRun]
; StarupFlag = CommandLine

; StartupFlag is a bit field that can take the following values:
; 0 = run hidden and wait (00 00 00 00)
; 1 = run normal and wait (00 00 00 01)
; 2 = run hidden and don't wait (00 00 00 10)
; 3 = run normal and don't wait (00 00 00 11)

1 = %SystemDrive%\programs\ghost8\ghost32 -ja=GHOSTSESSIONNAME -sure -rb

The above configuration will automatically install the GA621 Network Adapter, configure it with DHCP, and then start Ghost after the network is setup. Replace "GHOSTSESSIONNAME" with the typical name of your multicast sessions. The switch "-sure" automatically answers the "Proceed with disk load?" prompt. The "-rb" switch reboots the machine automatically when it is done ghosting.

You can customize this however you wish; See http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1998082612540625 for an alphabetical list of all the command line switches for ghost.

Posted by djc6 at August 28, 2005 05:19 PM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/djc6/mt-tb.cgi/2305

I have not been able to do this...my switches for ghost seem to be incompatible with the ghostcast...is there a better way or somebody w/ a solution

Posted by: john at January 10, 2006 04:38 PM

What is plugin files list called? (Enable the Ghost Plugin (Change to 'Yes' on the plug-in list)
)

Posted by: Travis at May 2, 2006 02:50 PM

Absolutely Legendary

I have been looking for someone who could make sense of this project

you have made my day.

Cheers

Posted by: Andrew Scott at October 2, 2007 02:50 PM

I can t find the ghostcdr.dll on my symantec solution suite 11.0

Posted by: ghali at November 14, 2007 10:54 PM

ghali,

I don't know if the BartPE ghost plugin works with version 11. I'm still using 8.0, and the instructions on the BartPE site are for 8.0:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/pluginhelp/ghost.htm

The list of files in my blog entry is simply what is mentioned in the above link.

Posted by: David Carlin at November 14, 2007 11:26 PM

That worked like a charm. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million!

Posted by: Ghost Videos at January 24, 2008 04:10 AM

I would like to do something similar but restore the image from a DVD. The ghost image is 7.8Gb so would need to boot into bartPE from a CD, then have it autorun the ghost restore command and prompt for the DVD with the image on it.

Another way possibly to have BartPE + ghost plugin + image on one DVD (not sure it will fit though).

Posted by: Rast at September 5, 2008 03:03 AM