July 31, 2008
Many students and alumni might be surprised that one of our dormitories won a national award. In 1968, Clarke Tower won a Project Design Merit Award from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Clarke Tower, named for John Hessin Clarke, an alumnus and former U. S. Supreme Court Justice, was originally a men's dorm, providing housing for 320. Completed in 1967, it was Western Reserve University's first high-rise residence hall.
See: http://www.case.edu/its/archives/dormitorylife/northside.htm for a photo of Clarke and the other north-side dormitories.
July 15, 2008
One of the largely forgotten oddities of CWRU's dormitory history is that the residences for the College for Women (later Flora Stone Mather College) were not operated by the college, or even the university, for the first 40 years. The Advisory Council had the sole responsibility for operating the dorms until 1929. Through the 1940s, the AC shared that responsibility with the university's accounting and purchasing offices. The Advisory Council was a remarkable group of women whose service to Mather College extended beyond its residential life. Some additional details are at Mather Groups