November 11, 2009
Study Abroad: Benjamin A. International Scholarship
Program Purpose: The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program aims to broaden the student population that studies abroad by supporting undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints.
The Gilman Scholarship Program aims to support a diverse range of students who have been traditionally under-represented in study abroad, including but not limited to:
* Students with high financial need
* Students interested in studying in diverse countries, especially those outside of Western Europe and Australia
* Students attending community colleges
* Students with diverse ethnic backgrounds
* Students from diverse range of institutions including two-year, four-year, public, private, minority-serving, etc.
* Students with disabilities
All recipients are required to carry out a Follow-on Project that promotes international education and the Gilman Scholarship Program at the students' home institution or in their home community. The Follow-on Project Proposal, Statement of Purpose essay and academic progress are criteria that are closely considered during the selection process.
The application deadline for Fall 2010 is April 2010. All Applicants are notified of the status of their application via email. Study Abroad and Financial Aid Advisors will be notified of scholarship recipients via email.
There are four components to the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Application:
1. Online student section.
2. Online study abroad advisor certification.
3. Online financial aid advisor certification.
4. Three paper copies of the student's transcript/s.
Visit http://www.iie.org/gilman to access more information on the above criteria and to complete the online application.
Posted by cle16 at November 11, 2009 03:09 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry: