March 15, 2007

Acquisition

Posted at March 15, 2007 11:00 PM in Microsoft , Tellme .

Tellme Networks, the company I work for, was acquired by Microsoft on Tuesday. The last few weeks at the office have been interesting, to say the least. Late last week, the blogosphere really started buzzing that a deal was imminent. Finally, on Tuesday, the deal was announced to the entire company. (The time between when the CEO sent out a company-wide email about the all-hands gathering and the actual announcement was crazy, to say the least.) Then, on Wednesday morning, the deal was officially announced to the world and the party continued.

The last week has been a surreal experience for all the employees of the company (I can't imagine what it was like and will continue to be for those engaged in ironing out the fine details of the deal). To cap off the week, the CEO informed everybody that Friday is a free vacation day! What better way to enjoy the near 90-degree weather here in the Valley!

I admit, it will probably be a little strange working for Microsoft (realistically, not at first, as it will take a while for things around the office to change, but still...). I've been using Linux and open source applications almost exclusively for the past 3-and-a-half years and many areas of my expertise appear to be those in which Microsoft has competing technologies. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Whatever the case, I'm sure it will be exciting. I'm transitioning to a group that is working on mobile search in Tellme, and many have speculated what the future may entail. This is going to be fun.

Trackback

You can ping this entry by using http://blog.case.edu/gps10/mt-tb.cgi/13042 .

Remember personal info?