August 20, 2007

Month of Led

Posted at August 20, 2007 02:17 AM in Led Zeppelin , Personal , music .

Ahhh, I'm finally writing this post, albeit more than a month after I wanted to.

A birthday gift from parents this year was the Led Zeppelin Complete Studio Recordings. The name is pretty self-descriptive. Ten discs. Nine albums. All Led Zeppelin. It doesn't get much better than that!

So, for the entire month of June, there were few times when a Zeppelin album wasn't playing in my car stereo. Even after listening to each album numerous times, the albums never got old. I mean, I could listen to Led Zeppelin I all day and it wouldn't get old. There are few albums that share that distinction. Wow!

Anyway, it was at the time of listening to the albums in chronologic order on my daily commute that I realized my commute time is about the length of the side of an LP. How cool is that! So, for two weeks, I listened to an album a day. One way, one side. Then, after I had listend to each album, I did it again, except out of order, and I varied the times when I listened to which albums and which sides. This was to build a better sample size for eventualating my appreciation for each album. It is surprising how much daily variances in attitude, emotions, etc, can affect your listening experience. For example, the first time I listened to Zeppelin III, I just didn't like it. It didn't have the energy and the flow of the first two albums. On my next listen, I began to appreciate it more. It still isn't Zeppelin I, but it is an all-around good album, not the flop I initially labeled it as.

Anyway, I could go on for hours explaining why Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest -- if not THE greatest-- rock band in history, but I'll let you listen to the music to discover for yourself.

The Complete Studio Recordings has probably received more enjoying than any gift in recent memory. The only things that could make it better were if I had an audiophile quality stereo setup to play it on and each album on LP. Both are doable. I will be glued to a recliner for days when that utopia is realized.

Trackback

You can ping this entry by using http://blog.case.edu/gps10/mt-tb.cgi/15000 .

Wow.

(Not that I don't have 10 and a half Zeppelin albums on my computer, but that's still pretty cool.)

What's on the 10th disc?

Posted by Alexander at August 20, 2007 12:03 PM

9 albums. 10 discs. Physical Graffiti spans two discs.

Posted by Gregory Szorc at August 20, 2007 11:29 PM

Remember personal info?