Morals Collide at Boulder High School

The Conference on World Affairs did an April panel session at Boulder High School extolling sex and drug use to high school students as young as fourteen years old!

The talk was called "STDs: Sex, Teens, and Drugs." The four panelists were a Los Angeles psychology professor, a Los Angeles storyteller, a New York community-engagement leader and the director of the Drug Policy Project in Washington, D.C.

Listen to excerpts from the panel discussion (630AM KHOW radio show)

Text transcript of CWA session

The panelists talked about the difficulty of maintaining an erection while using condoms, the naturalness of experimenting with same-sex relationships and why drugs should be legalised.

Quote from Joel Becker, the psychology professor: "I am going to encourage you to have sex and encourage you to use drugs appropriately. And why I am going to take that position is because you're going to do it anyway."

Another quote: "I want to encourage you to all have healthy, sexual behavior... Well I don't care if its men with men, women and women, men and woman. Whatever combination you would like to put together."

Quote from Andee Gerhardt, the community-engagement leader with Ernst and Young: "This is about thinking about the choices you're making today and how they're going to affect you over the long haul."

Conference organisers said the participants spoke "candidly and sensibly to the high school audience, providing cautionary information about alcohol consumption, drugs, sexual issues, and teens."

Candidly? Sensibly? Telling folks that long-term sexual relationships are no good. That it is alright for a girl to have sex with a boy, even if the boy does not love her. Another panelist told students to go ahead and try same-sex relationships at an early age. One wanted to use exctasy as part of psychological experiment but he did not have any.

Was it right for the school to allow this discussion to be told to students as young as 14 years old? I would expect such a thing would be presented to college students or high school students (juniors and seniors). Why was the discussion mandatory for all? Ideally, it should have been voluntary.

One student's family complained about the discussion. I really have to assume there are more but they are too afraid to exhibit such an "unpopular" view in front of everyone else. A shout out to Boulder High sophomore Daphne White and her mother, Priscilla, for complaining to the Boulder Valley School Board.

Of course, the school board thought it was inappropriate after the school board president told Priscilla White to stop reading excerpts from the panel discussion. Really? Was it that offensive?

So as a result, school district spokesman Briggs Gamblin stated that Boulder High will no longer require students to attend the panel discussions and will more carefully vet the panels.

Perhaps we should open a new wing of the high school and name it "The Young Brothel Wing."

denverpost.com - School district rethinks policies on CU panels

RockyMountainNews.com - Organizers defend sex talk at Boulder High

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/james.chang/mt-tb.cgi/14016

Comments

Posted by:
Posted on: May 23, 2007 08:55 PM

This is what my tax dollars get me? Are you kidding. This is inappropriate in a public high school setting. Stop pushing this under the rug and pointing the finger at each other. Why didn't you know the views of your panelist? Someone failed to do thier job and needs to be held accountable. An apology is not enough.

Posted by: D J.B.
Posted on: May 24, 2007 02:35 AM

This absolutely doesn't surprise me one bit. Parents need to check out the sex education programs in their schools. If you think what they were pushing in this assembly was inappriate then you better pull yourselves together and run don't walk over to the schools that your children attend and demand to know the curriculum they are offering your children in school. (Grades k-12) It includes everything in the text above and then some. The only thing I don't know that they are teaching is the promotion of using drugs in a so called responsible way. There is "never" a responsible way to use illegal drugs! Is this why the U.S. is the biggest user of drugs around? Think about it! This so called Psychology Professor is a complete idiot! He needs to see a Physiatrist himself! He has a hangup on embarrassing young children just to get the reaction. If this isn't some sort of child molesting I would like to know what it is! They are trying to corrupting these children and making it difficult for the parents to deal with. No wonder there are sixth graders having sex in the middle of class rooms! They tell them if it feels good do it? Do it when ever you feel like it? Is nothing that comes out of their mouth teach modesty or personal pride? No wonder these young girls are a target for hormone overloads in these young boys. They don't teach them to respect a girl "or" woman. It's all about self satisfaction! Is this why the young women that you see on programs and adds on the tube behave the way they do? Is it because from an early age they aren't taught to have any modesty or pride in themselves? Parents better take notice and start to fight back to take the schools back before they completely lose their children to these so called educators! They are a bunch of perverts if you ask me. They wouldn't have that kind of control over my children! I don't give a hoot who they think they are, they are not the parent of the child. The parents need to become involved in their child's lives, and see that they are educated the way they should be educated, and have anyone that thinks they are going to take over the family life of private citizens fired! Each and every one of the people involved in this conference should be fired because they knew full well that parents would abject to the content of this, or the parents would have been welcome at the event, and the student would not have been told to keep silent about the event to their parents. Fire each and every teacher that had anything to do with this and the principal! There are responsible decent people that can do their jobs waiting for the opportunity.

Posted by: LJ Baker
Posted on: May 24, 2007 02:33 PM

This is atrocious! How dare these liberals shove this down young kids throats! How did this happen in America? This is why other countries call our women "whores" and detest us. Because we are the new Babylon and if we allow these sort of people to continue, America will fall and fall hard!

I also don't think it's appropriate to put down a student's defense of their morals or thought process as being "uptight" or "too religious". If Joel Becker and his so called "panel" want to pay for all of the medical care, babies, and whatever else goes along with kids having unprotected sex then he can be my guest.

If you teach inappropriate behavior then you should have to pay for it!

That is just disgraceful, not to mention shocking! I have an 8 month old son and a 2 year old daughter. I can't even imagine what sex ed. is going to be like when they are that age if it is that bad already! It makes you wonder how in the world the school OK'd something like that!

It is saddening when you really look at how many people in our society think such things are appropriate. I agree with the person above me who said that "if you teach inappropriate behavior then you should have to pay for it!". How true!

Posted by: Doris
Posted on: May 25, 2007 03:36 PM

First of all, the fools complaining about the panel haven't read the complete transcript and are simply taking far-flung excerpts out of context. Secondly, it was a level discussion, informative and intellectual, and was a valuable experience. The panelists' candor was really appreciated in a world where ignorant talking heads attempt to manipulate and sugar-coat the information they are conveying to the public.

The girl who complained is a frigid bitch. No one else was bothered by it, in fact I think the majority of students got a lot out of the presentation and enjoyed it.

The inmates are running the asylum. These adult teachers and admins aren't fooling me. They are catering to the whims of the students. Even the parents are caving in. What happened is tantamount to statutory rape. They have no shame, but should be accountable and punished. It's time we as parents and adults stop letting our youth be assaulted by the varmins of our society. Someone should file a lawsuit against the highschool administrators in Boulder for publically allowing this outrage.

Posted by: jgless
Posted on: May 26, 2007 12:51 PM

Doris is right. Read the whole transcript and you'll get the central message of the CWA panel. It is intellectually dishonest in the extreme to take one minute's worth of clips from a 90 minute discussion and boil it down to "encouraging underage sex and illegal drug use". The balance of the discussion was filled with cautionary tales and stark warnings about the real and serious consequences of making bad decisions in one's youth.

The statements inciting so much outrage were clearly deliberate devices used by the panelists to get kid's attention - and I'm sure they worked much better to get the true message across than some DARE officer droning on about gateway drugs or some "incest or death" zealot.

I have two teenage daughters (13 and 15). I think the biggest difference between my reaction to this panel and those of the "outraged" has nothing to do with religion or politics - it is simply that I don't think my kids or their friends and classmates are idiots about this stuff. Yes, too many kids get into trouble, but it's usually because adults are treating them badly or not telling them the truth.

If your kid is going to get pushed over the edge into destructive behaviour based on some panel discussion, well, your problems are wide and deep. I think it's actually more likely that what the panelists had to say could have pulled more kids back from the brink and caused them to think about their lives.

Let's try to keep the discussion here and everywhere honest.

Posted by: 96 BHS Grad
Posted on: May 29, 2007 05:41 PM

Please read the transcript before commenting.
Bill O'Reilly and the local media has done a great job of pulling snippets of this transcript out of context and stringing them together to make this seem like an unholy bombardment of sinful suggestion. It isn't.
The underlying theme, reiterated throughout every speaker's presentation, is that kids should take action to fully UNDERSTAND what they are doing, before leaping. I am extremely disappointed in Boulder's grown-up community for not doing the same, before reacting. As someone not too far out of BHS, I can say that I wish there were forums like this one when I was attending.Parents that truly care about and comprehend their children's needs, understand that the only way to help arm kids with the tools to make good decisions, is to provide them with open, honest discussion and information.
Furthermore, please remember that censorship, even in the classroom, is totally un-American.

I am only concerned that such discussions may be too vulgar or too intensive for all students, therefore, such discussions should be voluntary only. I would believe that any student under the age of 18 are still the parents' responsiblity and if such a discussion was taking place, the parents ought to be notified and they can decide whether to opt out.

Why always bash the opposing opinion? Who knows if the girl was voicing the opinion of a significant percentage of students that are too scared to speak up? It's always the popular kids voicing the majority opinion, and no ones wants to go against them. Suddenly, if there were 10 good points, and one bad points, we think that the person making the bad point is an idiot.

It is true that such topics could be a bit too much for 13-14 year old students. While we can appreciate an honest discussion, there are several factors to consider before doing so. I am not going to force all to listen to the discussion panel.

Posted by: Cecilia
Posted on: May 29, 2007 11:31 PM

I am the mother of a 21 year old Sr. at Univ of Texas and a 23 year old Sr at Univ of Texas at Arlington. I believe that if parents provide a foundation for their children while they are growing up, then any peer pressure, or other influences will not have the power to dictate what road the child will follow when faced with the question.

I have raised my young adults with morales and self confidence to be the leaders and trend setters not followers.

They do need to be aware of the world that will surround them when they are left to face it on their own. One cannot shelter them forever. I believe that kids that are sheltered and not allowed to interface with the real world are the ones that end up with more problems coping and maybe turning to drugs, alcohol and other things in trying to fit it.

This is strictly my opinion. I never sheltered my son and daughter, I just was very involved in their lives and made it a point that they always were welcomed to discuss "anything" with me.

As a result I have two very level headed and productive young adults.

Quit judging! Deal with and educate your own children, the rest will fall into place.

Posted by:
Posted on: May 29, 2007 11:37 PM

Taken out of context or not , it sleeze. Parents who think this kind of trash talk is alright have issues of thier own. Is digusts me. One would think that a parent would want thier children to hear things like, "drugs can harm you" or sex outside of a commited rlationship is risky". Anyway, good luck to Colorado schools.

Posted by: Sicka This
Posted on: May 30, 2007 08:09 AM

I'm sick of these parents who insist their kids "respect" them & peer pressure doesn't affect THEIR kids. Most commercial/corporate ads make out "parents" as IDIOTS. Most psychologists say its the JOB of teens to rebel & disrespect their parents. Does the number of teachers raping young students have something to do with this kind of curriculum?

Posted by: Marci
Posted on: May 30, 2007 01:12 PM

This is a disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If this garbage can be blatantly taught in our schools then Christ who IS the truth and prayer should be allowed back in schools. Our nation was founded on "IN GOD WE TRUST" and it is by HIS hand that America was blessed and made a free land.!!!!!
WE have ignored "HIM" and have chosen deception and have become so deluded in our ways of life. He wants all to have life and life more abudantly.
Bad things happen because there is another realm that we cannot see which seduces us into lies and we beleive the lie that there is no loving GOD who is our real Father--- good God---Then the father of all lies comes to kill, steal and destroy us in our minds. So we follow the thoughts of these deceptions instead of choosing the TRUTH.
When we start telling children not to listen to what their parents are teaching them---these people should be in jail!!!!!!!!!! who do they think they are? This country was founded on the principals of "GOD" Not man,not evil!!!!!!!!!!
These people need God and to remember where they came from and why they're even breathing!!
GOD have mercy on us all!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Cecilia
Posted on: May 30, 2007 01:29 PM

You know reading some of these posts lead me to believe that some people aren't really facing reality. If they think that what was in the discussion is the first time their kids heard about it, then they aren't really aware of what their kids face everyday.

Like I said before, if the parents build a solid foundation, then the child will be alright. Reality is, the more you try to shelter and pretend that the world is a place where candy canes and gingerbread houses are everywhere, the more that a child will not be prepared when they enter the real world.

12, 13 and 14 is definitely not too young to educate and talk to your children. They have heard and seen more than you think.

jgless and Doris are right. If you are honest with your kids and educate them, then you have done your job as a parent.
And I have learned, sometimes when I talked, and I didn't think my kids were listening, I have found out now that they are older, that they were listening and I hear them quoting me.

Posted by: SB
Posted on: May 30, 2007 02:17 PM

This is absolutly disgusting! This is the reason that I DO NOT send my children to public school. This school and alot of other schools try to push their "religion" on children. Their religion is a Godless one with no morals and no right and wrong. It's pathetic. You can teach your own kids to do drugs and have sex, but leave mine alone! I don't care if this transcript has "tid-bits" that make it look bad without giving the entire thing. The mere fact that they said any of the things they said in that trascript is wrong. Whoever put together this panel should be fired! Whatever teacher sat and listened instead of putting a stop to this should be fired!

Posted by: Evan
Posted on: May 30, 2007 07:58 PM

I agree that parents should be the ones educating their children about these subjects...but why should we parents have to worry about them hearing things like this from someone they dont know and at school of all places?

Posted by: Katherine
Posted on: May 31, 2007 10:10 AM

I can't believe this! Why has there not been a greater outcry about this?! Especially from the leaders involved in this assembly who know right from wrong and are old enough to let others in on the secret - if there are any! My staff and I prayed for the city of Boulder this morning and for the youth who were subjected to that idiotic message. May God be with you all and change your hearts because nobody needs to follow in your sins. How dare you try to pass those on.

Posted by: Ray
Posted on: May 31, 2007 12:05 PM

I am so glad that we left Boulder before our children progressed beyond elementary grades. They were raised in a community where the school district reflected our values - not the nonsense Boulder Valley passes off as education.

Posted by:
Posted on: May 31, 2007 02:46 PM

I would like to know where is the outrage regarding this school staff by the media. The news is full of Hollywood stars, whales and war stories. We should as a nation be upset but nothing is mentioned by the so called main stream media.

Posted by: David Smith
Posted on: June 1, 2007 09:16 AM

This just serves as another reminder that this country needs educational vouchers. Public schools are run like the private fiefdom's of the "educational elite", and they have become insulated from the true advocates for children, their PARENTS. If we had school choice, and by moving our child to a different school, our tax dollars followed our child, and schools were no longer run by government beauracrats, but were independent, this type of completely inappropriate "education" would quickly cease to exist. Go to www.friedmanfoundation.org for more information on education vouchers and GET INVOLVED!

Posted by: James Lukes
Posted on: June 1, 2007 11:09 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to agree with Doris about anything. Just click on her the link from her name and you'll see where she is coming from.

I've read the transcript and there is some good stuff and there. This is also a lot of very irresponsible stuff in there as well. Come on - can you actually encourage kids not to wear condoms, take drugs and the have casual sex? This is not the 60's. Are they trying to kill all our kids?

Posted by: igh
Posted on: June 1, 2007 11:47 AM

Jesus is the Way and the Truth and the Life, NO one comes unto the Father except by Jesus! John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
There are 2 systems at work in this world those who are fallen and follow satan there father, who reject God and his Son for there evil. Who tell lies and deceive using all satans ways to further satan's agenda. 1Timothy 4:1 "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron"
2Timothy 3:1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Timothy 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Timothy 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Timothy 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
Jude 1:8 Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

2Peter 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
2Peter 2:10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
2Peter 2:11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
2Peter 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
2Peter 2:13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
2Peter 2:14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
2Peter 2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;

2Peter 2:16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
2Peter 2:17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
2Peter 2:18 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
2Peter 2:19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
2Peter 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2Peter 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
2Peter 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Romans 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Romans 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Romans 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Romans 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Romans 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Romans 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Revelation 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:
Revelation 9:21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

THIS IS GODS SYSTEM:
John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
John 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
1John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1John 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1John 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
1John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
1John 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1John 4:11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
1John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
1John 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
1John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
1John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
1John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
1John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
1John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
1John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.
1John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
1John 4:21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Romans 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1Thessalonians 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

1John 3:11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Mark 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mark 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

THIS IS IT: EITHER YOU LOVE GOD AND ALL HIS WAYS OR YOU HATE GOD AND ALL HIS WAYS.

Posted by: im4curu
Posted on: June 2, 2007 01:32 AM

Why isn't anyone actually discussing this, all we are doing is stating our opinions with a closed door, there is no actual discussion occuring. Let's discuss this without saying that the other side is completely wrong and blasting them with name calling, such as the "frigid bitch" comment, or the "you either love God or hate Him." Why would you call someone who stood up for their beliefs a "bitch," and how could you say that something as complex as religion is so black and white. Something I've learned that is tried and true is that people for the most part are stubborn, liberal or conservative. Most people are so set on convincing others that that they are right that they forget that everyone is wrong at sometimes, and many times there is no determined right or wrong but a melding of the two, especially when it regards moral standards. To know where I am coming from I'm about to enter my first year of med school in the fall, I do not classify myself as a right-wing of left-wing because I agree with both parties on different topics, but what I believe I support strongly. However, different views and new revalations can change my mind. My opinions regarding this assembly are that I truly believe that the vast majority of the responsibility of teaching children about drugs and sex is the duty of the parents. This being said, the parents should have been notified about the content of the material and the manner of presentation so that they could make an informed decision. This should have been voluntary. 13 yr. old children are still very immature and impressionable, especially when confronted with such an esteemed person such as a Doctor at UCLA. Their decision making abilities are not complete and they do take many things literally. So when a Dr. states that he would like to use ecstasy in the clinic, I think there is a problem with that. I do believe that important topics were discussed, however, I think even the good stuff was approached irresponsibly. For example, they stated that if it feels good, you should do it. Well, I would imagine heroine feels pretty good, but I don't think anyone in the right mind would suggest it. I understand what they were trying to say, but it just wasn't done properly. Overall, this was a great idea executed in a very poor fashion.

Posted by: Paul Miller
Posted on: June 2, 2007 10:12 AM

I heard one of the speakers say something to the effect that when using a condom its hard to get it on, its hard to stay hard after you have it on, and it doesn't feel as good with it on. I would love to see the entire text of this discussion, to see how depraved these people really are. I just don't know where to get it. I thought it was in this website, but it says that is damaged and won't let me access it. If someone knows where to get it I woul love to read it.

Posted by: jgless
Posted on: June 2, 2007 12:43 PM

Go to www.bvsdwatch.org to find a link to both the transcript and recording. The continuation of the condom passage talks about how not using a condom led to a particularly painful STD and also warning kids about the hole in one's heart when an irresponsible fling turns into a pregnancy and then an abortion. Not exactly grist for the reactionary's mill, but that's what the kids heard.

Posted by: Mr. Preman
Posted on: June 3, 2007 04:25 PM

Amorality was, is and will be. Everyone is free to decide what to do, unless it harms the other people. In case with underage teenagers, It is total responsibility of the parents and society to direct their minds into some creative arts, which will transform the sexual energy.

Posted by: Tim Dillard
Posted on: June 6, 2007 09:18 AM

I was browsing the web for something like this and found it here on (blog.case.edu) Nice original thought.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. Keep 'em coming.

Posted by: Binod Pradhan
Posted on: June 7, 2007 09:59 AM

I went through the entire transcript of the CWA session. Young & adoloscent kids are surely way more mature than we parents were at their age and they have first-hand knowledge and experience of the impact of sex & drugs on their lives & careers.

We as responsible parents are morally bound to give them the support & education they need to understand the true implications of adoloscent sex & indulgence in drugs instead of helping them percieve it as a taboo.

Sessions like the one conducted by CWA is more than welcome to share that knowledge & help the kids unlearn the myths. I feel Sex & Drugs though often co-branded should be treated diffrentially for one is a legitimate physical & mental need bestowed by nature on us while the other is a gateway for escape.

Certainly, I don't agree with the approach taken by Mr. Joel Becker saying "encourage you to use drugs appropriately" - How can you ever justify using drugs "APPROPRIATELY" downright ridiculous!!

Posted by: Steph
Posted on: June 13, 2007 09:18 PM

Bravo!!!! It's about time someone in a position of authority spoke candidly and honsetly with kids about these subjects. Kids are going to experiment with drugs, alcohol and sex so why not teach them to do it responsibly so they don't end up dead. Marijuana never killed anyone and it never will. Alcohol and tobacco on the other hand will kill you and they are two of the most addictive substances known to man and they are both legal!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure many of the "outraged" parents are hippies from the sixties for whom lsd and pot were acceptable means of rebellion and exploration. The same thing is happening with todays kids. So stop being outraged, you did the same thing when you were a teenager. There is a reason why college kids binge drink: it is called making up for lost time. Kids are shown the good times they can have on alcohol but then we say "oh, no you can't have this until you are 21." This creates the allure. If I can't have it till i'm older it must be good. What is downright rediculous are the drug laws in this country.

Inappropriate does not begin to describe these actions. Joel Becker and perhaps a few of his superiors should be immediately fired. There is just no reason that Mr. Becker should have thought that his comments would have been allright.

Posted by: Drew
Posted on: June 15, 2007 07:24 AM

I keep hearing "candid" and "honest". But that's a misconception. You're talking about kids. The degree to which this assembly escalated was inappropriate. No, it probably wasn't the first time these kids heard these things. But it probably was the first time an authority well above their peer group gave them permission to experiment was drugs and sex; more than that they encouraged them to do these things. This is like giving car keys to a 10 year old and then downplaying the action by saying you told them how about the potential dangers. Any reasonable person understands that by and large high school students are not mature enough to handle the levels that sex takes a relationship to or the effects of recreational drug use. Most of us who have been there know in rehtrospect that those things were mistakes and should encourage the next generation to avoid falling into the pits we did, A frank and candid discussion should be taylored to the maturity level of the audience. I am speaking of course in the general sense, I am sure that there were a handfull of students mature enough to weigh the statments made with the gravity of the discussion. Still comments about keeping it up in a condom and using extacy were completely gratuitous. More than that they play to directly encourge a VERY easily influenced group toward unprotected sex and extrememly dangerous drug use. We're talking about highschoolers as young as 14. Nobody should kid themselves that these people are ready for the consequences of of those vices. A "candid" and "honest" position would point out the devestation that drug use causes, even "harmless" drugs like weed. It would included the honesty of of families torn apart by the OD'd 15 year olds. It would include the broken lives and wasted opportunities of 30 year-olds strung out in their parents basement since they were 17. Or the laments of 28 year old mothers of TEENAGERS. I was BLESSED to get out of my home town. Every time I go back, I get healthy dose of "candid", "open", "frank", and "honest". You wanna talk about realistic, I've seen "real" and for such a "progressive" idea, it hasn't progressed anyone very far. At least not where I'm from. Maybe it works out better for rich kids. And this is what we abandon God for. Infinant mercy and forgiveness and morals are forsaken for a handfull of frank and open ideas about drugs that will kill someone and sex that will breed only regretts. Very progressive.

Posted by: Ralphie
Posted on: June 17, 2007 10:47 PM

I don't think your metaphor about giving the car keys to a 10 year old is really accurate. Now I'll admit I didn't read the whole transcript, but I'm pretty sure they didn't hand out free drugs and hookers. I agree that they got a little carried away at some points, but I also don't think the words of some guest speaker could ever be as powerful as a classmate's. What is comes down to is that many high-schoolers have already discovered sex and drugs and realized that both are a lot a fun, and any rebellious teenager (not to be redundant) will place a lot more value in the "cool kids" than some random adults they just met.

Posted by: BKP
Posted on: June 18, 2007 08:53 AM

Nice post.
Thanks for bringing such and important issue to the fore.Keep coming.

Posted by: Joel
Posted on: June 20, 2007 05:56 AM

Nice Post.
Keep posting.
Joel

Posted by: Nina
Posted on: June 25, 2007 11:38 AM

The truth and fact of the matter is that is was completely inappropriate for irresponsible adults and adults in a postition of trusted power to push their views on CHILDREN without parental
consent. This is an area of personal choice, not to be dictated lightly by a stranger, as what happened in this case. We get enough of SLUM VALUES and SLUM MORALS from television and from radio and from immoral leaders, athletes, actors, singers, and idols. Children grow up fast enough without the help of drug pushers and pimps encouraging our children to go slumming. The only reason that they advocate drugs and sex is that they want to bring others DOWN to their level, so they can justify what they did. It makes them feel better to say "Well every body is doing it." Every body is not doing it! I have never done drugs, though I have seen plenty of idiots who have. I am proud that I have not let my thoughts and actions be controlled by DRUGS or that I have given into peer pressure and been controlled by what others say is okay to try. I am not a follower of the crowd. I am a LEADER. People who say it is okay are trying to set it right in their minds, it's not right. You should treat your body, soul, and mind with the respect it deserves. You are not a human semen dump site or a human drug dump site. You are a person that should educate yourself, better yourself, be the best you can possibly be. BE A LEADER NOT A FOLLOWER. Be someone who isn't controlled by chemicals or someone else's idea of what is right or wrong. THINK FOR YOURSELVES. You know you make a big enough fool of yourself without drugs, you make enough mistakes without letting drugs help you along with more mistakes and life is hard enough without STDs or babies when you aren't ready for them. BE A LEADER not a sucker!

Posted by: hipnoza
Posted on: July 25, 2007 12:20 PM

Great read, I completely agree.

Posted by: Dylan
Posted on: August 17, 2007 04:09 PM

It is really important to measure the limits when talking to children. I would expect the school authorities to be more cautious when pushing a panel to be mandatory, and not knowing what would be talked in the panel.

I think it's naive to think that 14 year olds don't already talk like this and don't hear the same conversation dozens of times daily either from their friends or from television or magazines. This naivety can end up hurting them a lot more because we are not providing them with the valuable education that should be provided to them as they grow up way too fast in this modern society we live in.

Posted by: Logan
Posted on: October 9, 2007 11:52 AM

I graduated from Boulder high not to long ago and I can vouch for the fact that the majority of students from freshman to seniors know about and probably participate in sexual activities. Off the top of my head I would say about 70% of freshman students are sexually active. This day and age students become sexually active in middle school.

It should be noted that Daphne White and her mon Priscilla are the same White family who hung out with those murderous pedophiles John and Patsy Ramsey.

Posted by: Giacomo
Posted on: April 30, 2009 04:59 PM

Highly enjoyed reading these posts. As a Christian I can safely say that without the loving hand of God in school, these people are vulnerable to greater sin in thought and deed. I agree with it's either love or hate with God. Children should be shepherded to the right path, gently of course.