Feedback

At my last job, we had performance reviews every six months; at least that’s what they told me. I worked there for a year and a half and never received one when I should have had three. What I found really interesting was we still got our raises that were supposedly dependent upon our performance reviews that we never got. There was absolutely no feedback at this job. No explanation of why someone else, who had been there a much shorter time than you, was promoted before you were. Managers really need to step it up and give feedback. It just creates unhappy, resentful workers if they don’t. For example, I had a friend who was with this company for three years; she was a crew trainer at the time that our crew chief left. So of course she was expecting to get the promotion to chief but instead the managers gave it to someone who hadn’t even been there a year yet. My friend was so upset she put in her two weeks. She and the managers eventually talked over the situation and she was made a manager, but the whole problem could have been avoided if they had just given reviews and explained what she needed to do to get the promotion.

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/juliano/mt-tb.cgi/4136

I have worked at similar places. One job that I held during high school also had virtually no feedback. We also didn't have performance appraisals. However, every year we did get a nice pay increase. This was fine for other workers, but I felt like I was at a disadvantage because I found myself working hard for the same wage as someone who was a horrible worker, and just doing what it took to avoid getting fired. This type of situation made putting extra effort into work seem pointless. I agree that managers should step up and start giving feedback.

gravatar

Posted by:
Posted on: November 29, 2006 04:09 PM

indeed goood =)[url=http://gooogle.com/]gooogle[/url]

If you have entered an email address in the box, clicking this checkbox will subscribe your email address to this entry so that you are notified if any updates or additional comments occur on the entry.