Improvements for Appraisals

Yesterday in class we discussed how to make the performance appraisals of Case professors better. I think the appraisal need to leave more room just for writing out your thoughts about the professor and the class. The standardized questions sometimes leave things out and they don’t always let you express concern in a particular area. I know there have been times when I wanted to address a certain problem and the form didn’t give me the chance.
I also liked the suggestion of having, in addition to the students, an expert come in and evaluate the professor. This may not be a feasible idea, but it would have its benefits. There was also the idea of having the professor leave the room and having the person who deals with the evaluations come in and have a discussion with the class. I don’t know if many people would be comfortable putting their face with a complaint. I know I am always concerned that my evaluation of a professor might come back to haunt me later.

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/juliano/mt-tb.cgi/4208

Appraisal
Excerpt: feature. Looking for an appraiser's tale (10/05) also includes Letters to . We use . To reprint material, Apprai...
Weblog: Appraisal
Tracked: February 22, 2006 05:33 AM

Appraisal
Excerpt: feature. Looking for an appraiser's tale (10/05) also includes Letters to . We use . To reprint materia...
Weblog: Appraisal
Tracked: February 22, 2006 06:00 AM

Appraisal
Excerpt: feature. Looking for an appraiser's tale (10/05) also includes Letters to . We use . To reprint material, Appraisal Today - in...
Weblog: Appraisal
Tracked: February 22, 2006 01:46 PM

There is some group on campus that actully sends representatives to sit in on a lecture and then the professor leaves and students express opinions. The person meets with the professor afterwards and goes over everything. I can't recall what group it is that does this, however... The bad news in all of this is that it is up to the professors to schedule the visit. So, we have the good professors--professors that care about whether they are effectively conveying the material to students-- volunteering for this service, while the bad professors settle for their mediocre performance. What is needed is pressure from department chairs, Deans, and the Provost for professors to use this service, especially those that have a lacking performance record.

As an aside, I have a little project at http://zorro.case.edu/screw/ that has graphs of the course evaluations over all time. Also, the Accreditation assessment of the university pointed out course evaluations as an area in which the university was lacking, so expect changes sometime...

If you have entered an email address in the box, clicking this checkbox will subscribe your email address to this entry so that you are notified if any updates or additional comments occur on the entry.