Entries for March 2005

is it possible to plan beyond one lifetime?

I find it interesting that people in my social class in the US spend a lot of time thinking about whether they have enough money to bring a child into the world and get him or her through college, and so much less time thinking about whether there will be any natural resources left to buy by the time that child is an adult. It reminds me of a book I read back before I became a mother, in 1999, called Maybe One. Perhaps I need to reread that book, along with the BBC science article I linked to above about the scarcity of natural resources, and an ongoing free subscription to Dave Pollard's How to Save the World...

a philosophical meme

You scored as Existentialism. Your life is guided by the concept of Existentialism: You choose the meaning and purpose of your life.

“It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.�
--Jean-Paul Sartre

“It is man's natural sickness to believe that he possesses the Truth.�
--Blaise Pascal

More info at Arocoun's Wikipedia User Page...

Existentialism

90%

Utilitarianism

80%

Hedonism

70%

Justice (Fairness)

50%

Kantianism

50%

Divine Command

25%

Nihilism

15%

Strong Egoism

5%

Apathy

5%

What philosophy do you follow? (v1.02)
created with QuizFarm.com

A little bit of background

What would you like to know about Prof. Piderit? Here's what I can tell you for now:

As of March, 2005, I was an assistant professor of organizational behavior at the Weatherhead School of Management at CASE, in Cleveland, Ohio. I do research on how to make businesses and other organizations more humane and productive, and I teach primarily in our undergraduate and PhD programs.

At that time my blog's tagline read "where she will blog, if she gets promoted" which shows that I was a little bit insecure about the fact that I was still only an assistant professor. We have a long tenure clock at Weatherhead (up to 9 years), and I have had a few years that didn't count on my clock, so I went up for promotion to associate professor without tenure in the summer of 2005. The promotion finally went through in the summer of 2006, which means that I'll be eligible for tenure sometime before the summer of 2009. Given that I came back to campus and began teaching in 1998, it sometimes feels like I'm "behind" my peers, but I try to reassure myself that "slow and steady wins the race" because I would really like to remain in this community.

My research website is hopelessly outdated, although my faculty profile has some updated information about completed projects, and my NEOBEAN site is developing nicely. NEOBEAN is a major action research project of mine, along with the other co-founder, Latha Poonamallee.

I'm on Ryze, and also on LinkedIn.

I blogged on livejournal for a few years before the Blog@Case platform was created at Case Western, and some of my old entries there demonstrate that I like to read, and not just business books. Another entry shows that I sometimes participate in internet memes, like the "100 things about me" meme.

I'm a wife, mother, cat-lover, and Cleveland Heights resident, so I may occasionally write posts in this blog about marriages, babies, and other significant community events that are not directly career related.

Oh, and I blog so much because I'm an insomniac and we have high-speed wireless in our home, so I can cuddle up with the cats and the laptop in the wee hours of the morning and do some warmup writing before moving on to my almost neverending list of writing, research, and teaching tasks. I have even, in the past, required my students to blog -- here's why -- or offered them the opportunity to blog about a specific busines topic, as a way of developing an online brand of expertise. Here are some examples of their work: here, and and here.

I also experiment with the use of other online tools to help my students learn managerial skills, like goal setting and progress tracking. In fact, I use the 43 things website myself -- here are my goals.

an online conversation about academics who blog

I'm posting a link here to my livejournal entry about the value of scholarly blogging because my livejournal doesn't allow trackbacks, but this journal does, and I want to note for Professor Lucas and Ms. Lilith that I have quoted their writing, which was inspired by a post on scribblingwoman by Professor Miriam Jones. Professor Jones might also want to point out to her tenure committee that she has 15 bloglines subscribers to scribblingwoman, including myself.

I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of professors from Case about whether blogging constitutes a scholarly contribution that should be recognized by appointments committees. I am in particular wondering what Professor Singham's opinion might be...

Another professor writes about getting students blogging

I found this guy, from the University of Michigan's IS department, via the Scobleizer.