Entries for June 2005

the merits and drawbacks of laziness

Dave Pollard defends laziness and argues in favor of natural enterprises which do not require long work hours (while also criticizing corporate media for pandering to their audiences with bias). I found his argument shocking at first, so at odds with the Catholic values in which I was raised, which glorify hard work.

As I read his words again, though, I began to question those unspoken values. Why is it better to work long hours? There is more to life than a choice between hard work and idle hands. Relationship building takes time, and relationships must not only be built within work organizations, but all across the community. So, I invite you to read Dave Pollard's essay and consider the merits and drawbacks of laziness.

temper mercy with wisdom

Dean Jenkins (a pseudonym) writes about when to follow policy and when to make an exception. It's an insightful column in the Chronicle of Higher Education, and makes a point that few of my undergraduates who challenge their grades ever seem to think about.... it's my responsibility as a professor to think not just about what will benefit the petitioning student, but also about what is fair for other students. Enforcing grading policy is never enjoyable for me, but it is almost always the right thing to do. I'm blogging this column here so that I can reread it when I am doubting my judgment or struggling with the discomforts that come with doing the right thing.

Continue reading "temper mercy with wisdom"

Recruiting young doctors

This article from HealthLeaders.com discusses the ways that some hospitals are changing their recruiting strategies to appeal to the values of generation X graduates of medical school. Apparently, the current crop of new doctors are looking for family-friendly work environments, and they know enough to get the scoop on working conditions from their potential peers rather than accepting an administrative recruitment tour. As the Tom Peters Wire Service points out, with a shortage of physicians growing, the hospitals and clinics recruiting the new graduates are facing an increasingly competitive market. New doctors are more and more likely to receive multiple offers, and to accept the one which best corresponds with their image of desirable work.

The Future at Our Front Door

There's something very cool about walking toward PBL on a Monday morning and finding two Sparrow Classic electric cars on display. They are three-wheeled, single-passenger vehicles that look a bit like a motorcycle with a roof. According to the website, the company is based in Tallmadge, Ohio!

Race and Regionalism

There have been bits and pieces of dialogue in the NEO blogosphere lately about race and regionalism. It all started when Bill Callahan asked for predictions from the blogosphere about the biggest issue in the race for Cleveland mayor. Tim Russo said race. I responded with an attempt to discuss the issue (but ended up discussing poverty and access to higher education) instead. Later, I responded again, and received quite a few comments. MaryBeth joined in with her commentary on a recent REI brainstorming session and received several comments as well. Jeff picked up on it tangentially with his search for non-European voices in the NEO blogosphere.

To add to the conversation, I wanted to point to this interview with John Powell on the EcoCity Cleveland website. I wonder how people respond to his suggestion that we build public housing units into each new development in our communities? I wonder what it would it take to make that happen, before all the new condos in Cleveland are finished out. Perhaps we could we get public housing units integrated into Scott Wolstein's proposed redevelopment of the flats....