hope amidst hostility

I certainly support free speech, but I've never thought that name-calling or other schoolyard taunting rituals were worth participating in, and so I find it hard to understand the rationale of the Danish journalists who published cartoons of Mohammed with a bomb in his turban. Amidst all the variety of reactions to their decision in past weeks, I found two that were especially encouraging about the possibility that through dialogue, we might reconcile our differences.

The first is a post by Jill Miller Zimon quoting Tariq Ramadan about differences in freedom of expression laws in different countries.

The second is a post by Yasan Badran at Global Voices Online summarizing reactions in Syria to a recent anti-Danish demonstration, and reporting on a recent initiative called Bridge the Gap in Blogspace, which aims to promote intercultural understanding.

I hope that out of efforts such as these, we will see more uses of humor to unite, rather than divide.

Postscript: Just after I made my post this morning, Mano Singham made a post on the same topic. As usual, Mano provides valuable background to the story, and demonstrates how bloggers can complement and deepen stories as told by the mainstream media.

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/kep2/mt-tb.cgi/5856

Hi Sandy! I adore Wendy, as she knows, but your link actually goes to my blog. Not sure if that's what you wanted, but there you have it!

Posted by Jill on February 15, 2006 05:11 PM