February 22, 2010
What is a blog?
Blogs are still quite misunderstood by many, probably due to the original usage of blogs. When most people hear "blog", they think of reading someone's online diary that contains all their challenges, activities, and reflections on life. This is only one usage of blogs that exist today.
Lets start from scratch...
From the Oxford English Dictionary (available online to the Case community):
- Weblog was the original term and appeared in 1997 as it relates to the history of blogs.
- Weblog is "a frequently updated web site consisting of personal observations, excerpts from other sources, etc., typically run by a single person, and usually with hyperlinks to other sites; an online journal or diary".
- Blog is the shorten version of weblog and appeared in 1999.
- organized by dated entries,
- contains an archives functionality,
- provides a RSS feed (RSS feeds will be explored in future Learning 2.0 @ CWRU blog entries.),
- and contains many entries with links out to elsewhere on the web.
- managed by a software application that can be installed on your own server or hosted by one of many web providers,
- little or no web programming knowledge needed depending on the choices made by the creator,
- and blog entries can be organized by categories or tags (Tagging will be explored in future Learning 2.0 @ CWRU blog entries.).
Posted by Brian Gray on February 22, 2010 09:32 AM