November 18, 2010
"I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house" Nathaniel Hawthorne
Though the weather may soon threaten to drive us in doors, we are particularly thankful for the many opportunities provided by the Special Collections Research Center and our colleagues around town that invite us to learn more about our community as winter days approach.
If you are on campus this month be sure to stop into the Kelvin Smith Library and view the exhibit of WWII artifacts and memorabilia assembled by Special Collections Research Center head Susie Hanson entitled “Honoring Our Veterans.“ The display, located in the main lobby, features correspondence, medals, ephemera and service flags from family members who served in the armed forces between 1918 and 1945.
The department has also mounted an exhibit on the second floor of the library, in the casual seating area near the elevators, welcoming Hawken School to University Circle. Founded in 1915, Hawken School is a PS-12 coed day school whose rich tradition of serving our community will now measurably increase with a new commitment to the University Circle neighborhood. On display are histories of Hawken School from our collection, facsimiles of early school records and current information about the renovated Magnolia Drive mansion which houses Hawken’s Sally & Bob Gries Center for Experiential and Service Learning.
A recent renewed focus on The Ernest J. Bohn Housing and Planning Library, with an eye toward increasing patron access to materials via digitization, reminds us that our earliest effort to make Bohn materials available electronically, The Works Projects Administration(WPA) Collection , was posted to our web pages over ten years ago. The images, artist information and scholarly essays that comprise this online offering shed light on an often overlooked chapter of Cleveland history.
After pouring over our online images you may be inspired to visit WPA-era art works around town such as the recently unveiled mural in the Cleveland State University student center ballroom and the tile installation “History of Tremont” at the Tremont Pointe Community Center. Both works were painstakingly restored by the Intermuseum Conservation Association and will once again provide color and a sense of context to our lives as originally hoped by the local artists who crafted them.
From The Works Projects Administration(WPA) Collection in the Special Collections Research Center: "October Twilight" by Clevland WPA Artist Stanislaus Arturo Osweiczynski