January 31, 2011
Papyrology and Ancient Egyptian Culture
It might not be readily apparent to the casual viewer but the image posted below is part of a receipt for services rendered. The English translation tells us that "Paid by Apollos worker in lead to [Georgios?] for repairing the copper utensils of the property of Meskanounis, eight pounds of lead and four pounds of tin. Total 8 pounds of lead and 4 pounds of tin only."
This receipt and other fragments of papyrus were among a large cache of early Greek and Latin handwritten material excavated at the site of ancient Egyptian city of Oxyrhynchus between 1896 and 1906 by Bernard Grenfell and Arthur Hunt for the Egypt Exploration Fund (today the Egypt Exploration Society). Oxyrhynchus papyri fragments were given as study aides to many colleges and universities around 1906, including Western Reserve University, as part of the wide distribution of papyri by the Egypt Exploration Fund. Our papyri can be studied at length on our web page which includes images and descriptions of each item.
While we are not aware of any new studies linking our papyri to the growing body of contextual information regarding the Oxyrhynchus papyri, it is interesting to note the research of AnneMarie Luijendijk, Assistant Professor of Religion at Princeton University who reveals in a recent article, that her work with Oxyrhynchus papyri at Princeton confirms “… the first and only ancient instance where we know the owner of a Greek New Testament papyrus.”
Oxyrhynchus 1003:Part of a Receipt
Posted by exo2 at January 31, 2011 08:32 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry: