January 25, 2007
January 25, 2007: Headline News
Here is today's 1 minute news headlines.
(1) Over the past 30 days, more than 2500 Case users have changed their network password IDs. Are you among them? Last fall, ITS and the rest of the campus made a one-time "required" change. We encourage all of ITS to make an ID change at least once every 180 days. Go to https://its-services.case.edu/my-case-identity/password/change/
(2) The outline of ITS' new 5 Year Strategic Plan is now available on the Case Wiki at http://wiki.case.edu/ITS_Strategic_Planning#ITS_Strategic_Planning_2007-2012 We will be opening up three sections for active comment (Where We've Come From, Current State, Where We Need To Be). I encourage you to take an active role in the Planning process. Some of the early narrative leading into the wiki was recently posted to my blog at http://blog.case.edu/lev.gonick
(3) Talking about Lev's blog, these 1 minute news headlines are now being posted coming from a recommendation from ITS staff who find themselves offline when I send via IM.
(4) Case has been nominated by Ciso Sytems for a ComputerWorld Honors and Laureatte program for the category of world class partner in education and academia.
(5) A "must" read. If you're interested in "futures", the NMC has just published its annual "Horizons" report on emerging trends in technology and their impact in higher education. I can't underscore how valuable this monograph is. I hope you'll download a copy at http://www.nmc.org/pdf/2007_Horizon_Report.pdf
(6) The Ohio Supercomputer Center (OSC) announced today the upgrade of its high performance computing (HPC) capacity with the acquisition of the IBM Cluster 1350. This new system is projected to be one of the top 50 supercomputers in the world, making OSC among the top 10 academic supercomputing centers.
(7) Case has completed its contract for a 5 year renewal with Dell for notebook and desktop systems. While details will follow, there are a number of key "new" features, including two firsts. All alumni of Case will be able to buy Case specified hardware configurations at pricing available only at the Case - eMall. Second, our STA partners, including key new health care partners will also be able to purchase off the Case pricing contract.
(8) The School of Medicine has successfully migrated a significant portion of its core computing infrastructure over to Active Directory marking a very important milestone. Thanks to Irene M. and co.
(9) An early welcome to Tara Phillips who will be joining ITS next Monday as one of Case's Telephone Operators. Welcome Tara!
Keep those tips coming! Have a good day.
Posted by lsg8 at January 25, 2007 08:17 PM and tagged Headline News
TrackBack URL for this entry: