In a word: Moof.

The collected conjectures and observations of one (1) Colin Slater.

Crazy Thought

22 Sep 2005, 9:32AM

Wouldn't it be insane, if I were to become an astronomer?

It just might happen. Wouldn't that be weird. Astronomy would be a lot harder to pull-off successfully than CS, in more ways than one. It would mean grad school, paying for grad school, dissertation, and Ph.D. It means committing myself to academia for the rest of my life. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

But hell, wouldn't it be fun. Wouldn't a professorship be more fun than a coding job; wouldn't it be more fun to stare through a telescope than at a computer screen all the time? Alright, on the second one I got carried away with the poetry. Computer-screen-staring-time would be almost the same. But still. I'm kinda hoping I do it. It's absolutely insane, and terribly tempting. People say a lot of cliché things about "big decisions." But this really is the biggest decision I've ever had to make.

——cs

Comments / Trackbacks

TB Url

Something else to consider: I'm under the impression that one doesn't typically pay for graduate school when one goes to study most engineering and science topics. Usually, grad students are paid. It's basically a job, so you should get treated like it's
one.

Posted by Nicole Sharp on 22 Sep 2005, 11:15AM.

Ah. That's something I must remember to ask about when I talk to a professor next week.

Posted by Colin on 22 Sep 2005, 12:43PM.