CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

MANDEL SCHOOL
NEWS AND EVENTS

MAIN NAVIGATION

October 05, 2012

The Works of Artist Pamela Mckee: On Display at MSASS

Pam McKee photo 1.JPG

Artist Pamela Mckee is inspired by nature and the complex interacting structure of organic shapes. She uses organic materials such as cotton threads, persimmon dyes, walnut ink, hemp thread, abaca fiber/pulp, and sliced silk cocoons.

Mckee's works are for sale and are currently on exhibit at The Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences through November 2, 2012.

She layers, binds, embeds, and hand stitches lines onto handmade paper. The surfaces are frayed, uneven, fragile, and translucent; but they are far from imperfection. The works are incredible.

She has been influenced by the shibori work of Yoshika Wada and Joan Morris, and inspired by the work of Dutch artist Marian Bijlenga. "Layers and texture are important to me," she said. "I want my work to reflect a sense of texture and a sense of the structure below the surface and object. I use handmade paper for many of my pieces because I am drawn to its texture, translucence, and the uneven or torn edges and the occasional hole caused by the human hand."

Watermarks 2012

McKee's exhibit runs in collaboration with the Watermarks 2012 International handmade paper conference sponsored by the Morgan Art of Papermaking Conservatory & Education Foundation here in Cleveland.

The Mandel School is one of seven associated exhibitions that will have local art on display during the conference, which is being held October 17-21. For a list of participating galleries and associate exhibitors, please view the online gallery guide.

To learn more about artist Pamela Mckee or to purchase her art, please e-mail june.hund@case.edu. Or, call 216-368-0722.