CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

MANDEL SCHOOL
NEWS AND EVENTS

MAIN NAVIGATION

October 18, 2013

Ryan Upp, artist

Ryan Upp.jpg

Ryan Upp, artist has an incredible imagination and artistic talent. He paints, draws, sculpts, works with mixed media and photography. Currently he is finishing up his senior year, working on his BA, Studio Art, at Cleveland State University. His work consists of Mythological Women using mixed media and drawing techniques. The Mythological women he portrays are Goddesses, such as Persephone or Queens, such as Cleopatra. The works are magical and you can see his passion with person and their myth.

Upp states: “My current series was inspired after a research project on myths. I choose to focus on women…I find inspiration in folklore, history books, and in the lyrics of poetry. I often take mundane domestic objects and depict them as whimsical, dream-like, and over embellished. I utilize a palate of muted and bright colors and accents of gold leaf to obtain a feeling of modern antiquity.

Upp’s works are exhibited on the second floor at the Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences Case Western Reserve University. The exhibit runs through December 2, 2013. To learn more about the artist, or to purchase his work, please contact: june.hund@case.edu or call 216-368-0722.