Lab update: No pictures yet...but...

A few setbacks have slowed the construction...so I don't have any pictures to post...yet. However it shouldn't be too long before I do. The construction is proceeding into its final stages. At this point the main items that remain to be finished include the installation of some "mood" lights in the console room, some fire alarm wiring, the locking mechanism for the lab door (which is beautiful sight to behold by the way!), and the carpet installation (defective carpet was shipped to us at first and we have been dealing with that situation for a few days now).

A final check/touch-up of some small items and we'll be ready for the furniture that is waiting in local storage to be delivered!

The Alienware computers are expected to arrive shortly afterwards and hopefully the Sony DLP projectors for the XBOX and PS2 consoles and the music/audio equipment will follow and then we'll be in a major equipment setup mode for a a short while.

It appears that we'll be waiting longer (to October perhaps) for the Barco 2D/3D projection unit because of snafus in the ordering process. It should be worth the wait however as it will complete the Immersion room.

Everything is happening quickly now and I hope to have another entry in about a week or so with some pics of the lab (hopefully my photographic skills won't let me down!).

Enjoy!

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/mxb11/mt-tb.cgi/2169

This lab sounds ultra-neat. Is it going to be available for non-class time EECS student use? That'd be ultra-nifty.

Posted by csh11 on August 13, 2005 03:57 AM

I can't wait to get in there and mess around with all the sound equipment. Although I think you need to get some more stuff for the guitar, namely some guitar effects hardware. Have you decided on what graphics software you are going to get? Will it be 3d Studio MAX, Maya, Softimage, etc.?

Posted by Jonathan Ward on August 13, 2005 05:49 PM

Are the game consoles going to be set up in any fashion to be able to run homebrew software? Console manufacturers normally do their best to prohibit this to try to curb piracy.

Posted by Alex on August 18, 2005 09:32 PM