September 19, 2013
Squire Valleevue Farm, then and now
This week's photograph is from Squire Valleevue Farm, owned by Case Western Reserve University and located about a half hour east of campus. Squire Valleevue Farm and Valley Ridge Farms encompass over 400 acres and is home to the Farm Food Program, supplying most of its produce to the university community and Bon Appetit.
The house is one of several residences on the property, and is currently home to the University Horticulturist and the Manor House Event Coordinator and family. The house was built in 1900, and the picture on the left is from 1923.
Original image can be seen here.
September 10, 2013
Haydn Hall, then and now
Hayden Hall is located at 11118 Bellflower and currently houses the Kulas Music Library and the Department of Music. The picture on the left was taken in 1902, shortly after construction was finished in 1901. The building was named for Hiram Haydn, Western Reserve University faculty, president and trustee. The building was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth. The building has been previously used for Mather College student center, Residence halls, Recreation and dining.
The original photograph can be seen here.
September 05, 2013
Now and then: Thwing
This week we look at Thwing, located at 11111 Euclid Ave. The building was dedicated on November 9th, 1934. It has been home to Western Reserve University offices, as well as the University Library and the School of Library Science. The building was named for Charles F. Thwing, a Western Reserve University president. Thwing was the first WRU university-wide library building.
Original image can be seen here