November 21, 2013
John F Kennedy in Cleveland, 1962
We have recently added a video into the digital collections of the holdings of Western Reserve Historical Society of footage of John F Kennedy speaking in Cleveland.
Here is the link.
The audio of this visit to Cleveland can be found in its entirety on the John F Kennedy Library and Museum website. Here is a link to that item.
JFK visited Cleveland on October 19th, 1962. In his speech President Kennedy explains how the legislation created by Congressional representatives affects all of the country’s citizens. The President discusses the importance of electing Democratic representatives from Ohio in order for the nation to progress in areas such as labor, housing, and urban renewal.
October 28, 2013
Mary Chisholm Painter Arch
The Mary Chisholm Painter Memorial Gateway, as it was formally named, was designed by Charles Schweinfurth and constructed in 1904, and has also gone by the names: 'Mather Arch' and the 'Painter Arch'. It is located along Euclid Avenue near the Church of the Covenant. The Arch was a gift of William and Mary Stone Chisholm in memory of their daughter, who had died in 1901. William Chisholm was a prominent Cleveland businessman with social and business connections to several Western Reserve University trustees.
The Arch has been part of the local tradition and ceremony on campus. Walking through the arch is symbolic of the transformation the students are embarking on through their journey at Case Western Reserve University and links the Residential College to the history of the university through the spirit of the Flora Stone Mather College for Women that blazed educational paths for women in the 19th and 20th centuries.
The photograph on the left was taken in the 1930s. The contemporary photograph on the right is taken with women on the staff at Kelvin Smith Library.
A link to the original photograph can be found here.
View new image here
September 19, 2013
Squire Valleevue Farm, then and now
This week's photograph is from Squire Valleevue Farm, owned by Case Western Reserve University and located about a half hour east of campus. Squire Valleevue Farm and Valley Ridge Farms encompass over 400 acres and is home to the Farm Food Program, supplying most of its produce to the university community and Bon Appetit.
The house is one of several residences on the property, and is currently home to the University Horticulturist and the Manor House Event Coordinator and family. The house was built in 1900, and the picture on the left is from 1923.
Original image can be seen here.
September 05, 2013
Now and then: Thwing
This week we look at Thwing, located at 11111 Euclid Ave. The building was dedicated on November 9th, 1934. It has been home to Western Reserve University offices, as well as the University Library and the School of Library Science. The building was named for Charles F. Thwing, a Western Reserve University president. Thwing was the first WRU university-wide library building.
Original image can be seen here
August 06, 2013
Retro Tuesdays: Alpha Chi Omega House- 11421 Bellflower Road
A 'then and now' look at the Alpha Chi Omega House at 11421 Bellflower Road, exterior, south and west sides. Trivia: The house was purchased in 1945 for $19,500. The photo on the left was taken sometime around the early 1950s.
Original photo can be seen here
July 30, 2013
Retro Tuesday: Smith Hall
The photo on the left was taken in the late 1930s/early 1940s of Smith Hall, shortly after the construction of the building had been completed. The building was named for Albert W. Smith, alumnus/faculty and designed by Walker and Weeks. Above the southwest entrance stands a figure of youth, a brazier at his feet evolving into a flame supporting an evaporating dish. In his left hand is a test tube; in his right, a stirring rod.
Trivia: First Case building financed by a loan, at 40 cents a cubic foot.
The original photograph can be seen here
July 23, 2013
Retro Tuesday- Harkness Chapel
The photo this week is of Harkness Chapel, located on the south side of Bellflower Road, between Ford and East Boulevard. The building was constructed between 1899 and 1901 by architect Charles F. Schweinfurth. It was named after Florence Harkness Severance.
July 16, 2013
Introducing: Retro Tuesday! CWRU Then and Now photographs
Introducing our new 'Retro Tuesday' photo series, which will use images from the 'Places' subcollection in Digital Case from the University Archives image collection.
The building was dedicated in October of 1892 and was designed by Coburn and Barnum architects. It was the first Western Reserve University women's dormitory constructed and was named for Linda Guilford. The building is located at 11112 Bellflower Road.
The original image can be found here.
January 08, 2013
Freedman Fellows Presentation Series: Continuation of The Reilly Digital Catalogue of Mahler's Musical Manuscripts
The Mahler Manuscript Catalog represents a model of the Freedman Fellowship in which the subject expertise of a faculty member is combined with the experience of a research services librarian and the skills of library IT staff to create digital scholarship.
Stephen Hefling will present an overview of his working methods illustrated with examples that are fully described in The Reilly Catalogue. In addition he'll offer a hint of future possibilities through a short electronic visit to the Arnold Schoenberg Center in Vienna.
More information here
Stephen Toombs will describe how the library staff assisted Dr. Hefling in translating Edward R. Reilly's catalogue raisonne of the music manuscripts of Gustav Mahler into an Oracle database which will become the foundation of a searchable online catalog. This work included envisioning possible user search patterns, defining data points and what their definitions imply for storage of data within the Oracle database, authority control for data points, and inputting protocols.
October 04, 2012
Understanding and Unlocking the Past Through Iconic Photographs: Images from the Burns Collection - Medicine, War, Racism, Crime, and Memorial Photography
On October 25 at 6PM, the Dittrick will host as guest lecturer Stanley B. Burns, M.D., FACS, an internationally distinguished author, curator, historian, collector, publisher, and archivist. Dr. Burns is a practicing New York City ophthalmologist and Clinical Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry at New York University: Langone Medical Center. In 1975 he began collecting photographs. The dual driving concepts behind his collection comprised how people and professions used photography and to acquire images no one else had. The Burns Collection, now with over one million photographs, is generally recognized as the most important private collection of early vernacular photography (1840-1920). It includes the largest comprehensive collection of early medical photography 1840-1880. The Burns Collection is best known for images of the dark side of life - death, disease, disaster, mayhem, crime, racism, revolution, riots and war. Dr. Burns has authored forty-three photo-historical texts and curated more than fifty photographic exhibitions. He has been a founding donor of three museum photography collections and has donated parts of his collection to 23 institutions. The Burns Archive established in 1977 is a publishing, exhibiting and stock image sales entity based on the images in the Burns Collection. As a preview to his lecture- Dr. Burns' CBS News medical photographic series and a video done by Newsweek on the collection can be found on his blog. www.theburnsarchive.blogspot.com For his presentation at the Dittrick, Dr. Burns will show iconic images that have been the highlights of his most notable books and exhibitions. The emphasis will be on medicine, crime, death and dying issues, Judaica, African American history, the Civil War, and early photography. The goal of the lecture is to illustrate the critical role photographic documents have in education and collective memory.
Please RSVP by Monday October 22nd to Jennifer.email@example.com or by calling 216/368-3648.
The lecure will be at 6:00pm in the Ford Auditorium at the Allen Memorial Medical Library, 11000 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106
Reception to follow in the Dittrick Museum Galleries
More info: here