Monthly Archive Index for KSL News Blog
2-For-1:Use a Research Database to Find Travel News
Leverage a research database for your summer use & find the best dining spots, tour tips, sports events, and local news before you leave home! Use PressDisplay and find the current news for US and world cities, and get a head start on your business or summer trip.
PressDisplay has 650 newspapers from 76 countries (38 languages), all with current news you can use—you can even search recent news, for last week's articles about upcoming events.
Use the search box (top right) to quickly find a newspaper:
- "Select Title" and see a list by country, by language, or alphabetical order.
- 'Mouse over' Country, and a pop-out menu on the right lists the countries.
- 'Mouse over' US and a see the pop-out menu on the left that lists papers from Arkansas to Washington...
- Or, 'Mouse over' US and click on it. You'll see the front covers of many newspapers, with a list of all titles on the left that you can easily browse. Click on a title and you can turn the pages, and perhaps listen to an audio reading!
Find a good restaurant from New York to San Francisco by reading the news...find a sporting event from Boston Seattle, so you're sure not to miss the top picks! (Test your language skills, if you're planning a trip out of the country.)
For the international travelers, the full-color, full-page dining, shopping, transit and local news are invaluable, and you can easily get ready before you go. Add PressDisplay to your reading list, this summer!
- - - - -
Summer brings you new databases for general health, science, encyclopedia, and biography reference resources. As several grant-funded databases provided for Ohio residents reach their grant expiration dates, Libraries Connect Ohio (LCO) has licensed new & similar products for OhioLINK, OPLIN, INFOhio, and the State Library of Ohio:
- Consumer Health Complete features health & medical information via encyclopedias, fact sheets, evidence-based reports, images, videos, and more.
- World Book Web is a suite of resources (dictionary, atlas, children's sources, and Hispanic versions) for general study, articles, educator tools, student activities & learning, images, audio & video, and related web sites.
- Biography Reference Bank brings you half a million people from antiquity to today, with thousands of images. Search and display obituaries (and sources), photos, books by & about the person, and extensive biographical essays. Catch up on everyone from Galileo (1560) to Bill Gates (1950), and/or Charlemagne to Charles Darwin!
- - - - -
Facts On File Science Online, the July Research Spotlight
Diagrams, images, & more gets you started with scientific disciplines in a redesigned database that is the KSL July Research Spotlight. Use Facts on File Science Online to "Explore Subjects," 10 disciplines from Biology to Weather & Climate.
Rollover each discipline term to see a photo & brief caption-an explanation helps you choose an area, helpful if you'd like to see what's in the Forensic Science section! Tip: choose a discipline to get subdivisions of Overviews, like the 7 topic areas in Weather & Climate.
Tabbed results make it easy to view your search results in Facts on File Science Online for Topics, People, Images, News Items, Videos, Table & Data (in Weather, take your pick this month between UV Index & Windchill Factor Conversion!) and more. Try out the homepage Special Features, too: Editor's Selection of the Month (heat and body temperature) and Focus On...
- - - - -