Monthly Archive Index for KSL News Blog
Free Databases to Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month
Alexander Street press offers these collections through October 15 via username and password to celebrate the September anniversaries of independence for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Chile, and Belize. Explore & enjoy poetry, short stories, memoirs,non-fiction, plays, folk tales, novels, and more:
Latino Literature, extensive collection that includes hundreds of previously unpublished works (English & Spanish) including audio files of poems and plays
19 & 20th century rare and hard to find works (French, Spanish, Dutch, Creole languages), maps of origin, classic and contemporary works.
Latin American Women Writers, essays & literature from Latin American feminists and revolutionaries, offering a unique glimpse into culture via plays and prose.
- - - - -
Special Trial: GREENR, Global Reference on the Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources
Updated throughout the day, GREENR offers energy, environment, resource management & more in a special limited trial for the Case community.
During September Case has a special trial for GREENR, a database of current information that brings together academic journals, statistics, news, magazines, primary resources, reference, maps, case studies, featured video, and more.
• Keep Up with News: browse through ten different Issues and Topic areas such as energy, air & water quality, energy, sustainable environmental issues, science & technology, social factors and others.
• Get Specific: each Topic area has sub-topics for more detailed news & research, bringing together in one site a unique framework of the issues along with business, economic, law, science, and human factors.
• Use Advanced Search: limit your search to a dozen content types, including audio, blog, image, monograph, newsletter, video, and more, plus options for publication type and format.
From Health to Technology to Environment to Energy, GREENR's constantly updated content brings an exciting and different approach to learning. KSL has a short window of opportunity to explore this database, and needs your interest in order to evaluate use and to consider purchase options.
- - - - -
Real Data in A Virtual World: ICPSR Conference Registration Opens
Real Data in a Virtual World, ICPSR's Biennial Meeting is open to all Case faculty, students, researchers as a virtual online event. Free registration and information recognizes time, travel & budget constraints in 2009, with presentations via live webinars for the October 5-9 conference.
The meeting brings together people from around the world who are interested in the use of social sciences data from ICPSR (Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research). A brief sample of program presentations includes:
• Tools that support data analysis
• American national election studies
• Longitudinal study of adolescent health
• Using data in teaching
• Web 2.0 tools (ZeeMap,Swivel) for data visualization & mapping
- - - - -
Top Ten Tips Get You Started@KSL
From your library card to your journal or book, or finding out how a few keystrokes can bring you a book from another library in about 3 days, we can help you with some of the getting-started answers.
Each month KSL has a page for a Research Spotlight—this month we welcome you to Case (or back to campus) with the best tips to get you started at KSL! Enjoy the KSL September Research Spotlight, and watch for a new one each month.
- - - - -