Monthly Archive Index for KSL News Blog
Take the Challenge, Win a Kindle, Wii, iPod & More....
The 2nd annual Knovel Challenge is on, and Case needs a winner! Use the widget and answer 3 science and engineering multiple choice questions, and you could own a Kindle, Wii, iPod Nano, or free music.
Contest-within-a-contest: When 100 student entries are received, Case is guaranteed to get a prize. Last year, Case was one of 8 universities to win a guaranteed prize, so logon and put yourself (and Case) in the winners' circle again!
Use the contest widget on Knovel—sumbit your answer,and just keep going until you get 3 right! It's easier if you keep the Knovel database window open, so you can search and find the right answers...or, you can simply keep answering questions on the contest widget until you get 3 correct answers.
• **Note: Case Students only
• Contest ends November 30th. Winners announced on December 1st
• Use the link at the top of the Knovel database page,
• Or, go directly to the contest. Try it, you might win!
Knovel is a database licensed for Case individuals, with full text of books and proceedings, and analysis tools & technology for cross-disciplinary scientific research. Interactive tools and reference texts & more are available for nearly seeral dozen main areas from Adhesives to Aerospace, Biology to Earth Sciences, Chemistry to Environment to Food Science, Textiles to Metals, and more...
- - - - -
Looking for A Person, Product, or Organization? Use New Online Directories
KSL brings new online directories to the desktop. National Faculty Directory, Consultants and Consulting & others are off the shelf and on your computer for easy, fast use.
Gale Directory Library Online has six titles in a collection of faculty, companies, associations, and more:
• National Faculty Directory
• Consultants and Consulting Organizations Directory
• National Directory of NonProfit Organizations
• Ward's Business Directory of U.S. Private & Public Companies
• Brands and Their Companies
• Market Share Reporter
Find out fast who makes Pom Wonderfull, which orange juice has 40% of the market, what web designer firms are in a city, income & assets of an NPO, where a former colleague works now, and more. Select the database(s) you need and browse or 'search within' a set result—for best results use the various precision search fields in Advanced search.
- - - - -
KSL@UCITE--Thurs. Oct 22: Maps, Statistics & More...
If a picture-map is worth a thousand words, data can add thousands more to it! Combine data, statistics, & a map and your project shows relationships spatially so you can better see and analyze the topic. Come to UCITE at Noon this Thursday and learn more about how you can add these layers to your research.
• See what GIS (geographic information systems) technology can bring to your classroom or project in capturing, managing, displaying information relevant to your project map or model so it is described geographically; from KSL's Center for Statistics and Geospatial Data Center.
• Learn how to datamine in ICPSR (Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research)from Thematic Collections (criminal justice, aging, demographics, education, race, terrorism, etc.)or other datasets, peforming online data analysis.
Ann Holstein & Brian Gray will show these services, plus KSL's new Research Guides, the online guides or tutorials for specific subjects, classes, or assignments to help students narrow their resource options to relevant, specific content that is licensed for them by the Case libraries.
Thursday, October 22, Noon-1 pm
Herrick Room (main floor), Allen Memorial Library at Euclid & Adelbert
RSVP for pizza and beverages to ucite at case dot edu