News, Services, Events & Features @KSL
Pass It On: Preservation Week April 24-30, 2011
Celebrate Preservation Week@KSL via "Pass It On: Saving Heritage and Memories," a national focus that helps & inspires institutions as well as individuals. Learn more about preserving collections or collectibles, photos, organizational or family records, and other valuable materials. Also, KSL's Preservation Department staff will offer expertise and a preservation evaluation when you bring in an item you'd like to preserve for the next generation.
In 1-hour webinars at the Kelvin Smith Library, see how you can preserve your personal treasures & how libraries, cultural centers, and museums are enhancing future access for varied formats. The webinars are free and all are held at 2:00 -3:00 pm in classroom Lower Level 06:
• Tues. 4/26/11 Accidents Happen: Protecting & Saving Family Treasures, Nancy E. Kraft, Univ. Iowa Preservation Dept
• Wed. 4/27/11 Protecting Future Access Now: Models for Preserving Digitized Books..., Amy Kirchoff, Portico
• Thur. 4/28/11 Preserving Your Personal Digital Memories, Bill LeFurgy, Library of Congress Digital Preservation Initiatives
• 30-minute Q&A sessions with staff follow each webinar
• Bring in a personal item for a complimentary preservation consultation & evaluation by KSL and Law library conservators.
The webinars are produced as part of Preservation Week by the Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS), a Division of the American Library Association, and its partners the Library of Congress and the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
Kelvin Smith Library's Preservation Department provides comprehensive preservation services for library collections, through traditional as well as cutting-edge practices. Preservation staff does expert restoration & repair in a recently renovated 4-room, 1600 sq ft facility, often using new digital technologies to preserve fragile print materials.
Posted by Karen Oye on April 20, 2011 11:00 AM