News, Services, Events & Features @KSL
Octavofest Juried Art Exhibit Awards Prizes October 19th
See what inspires people when they read and explore rare manuscripts, as we announce the winners in the Juried Art Competition at the Kelvin Smith Library on Wednesday, October 19th. The artist's inspirations resulted in works of ink & watercolor, digital photography, lino cuts, cast paper, acrylic, metal, graphics, block prints, and more—and they are all on display in the library.
• A colorful work about books & more heralds philosophy, Chaucer, & Thomas Acquinas.
• Art plus poetry is the result of reading the Flemish Book of Hours.
• Interest in Greek & Egyptian myths turns into cast paper book, column, and owl.
• A block print of an antique car is evidence of a Cleveland automobile maker.
• Frankenstein inspired a mixed media work that literally opens up words.
Join us for more Octavofest events at KSL on Wednesday, October 19 & find out who wins 1st , 2nd, and 3rd cash prizes:
• 3:30 pm, "Artists' Books, Readers, and Reading," Presentation by Cristine Rom, Gund Library Director, Cleveland Institute of Art.
• Winners of the Juried Art Competition are announced after the lecture by Arnold Hirshon, Associate Provost and University Librarian of the Kelvin Smith Library.
• 9 am - 6 pm: "Books that inspired the artists for the Juried Art Competition," Exhibit in the 2nd floor Special Collections Department, Kelvin Smith Library.
• Reception follows the lecture and award presentations.
Octavofest events at the Kelvin Smith Library celebrate the book and paper arts in NE Ohio, along with many other institutions' events during October. Octavofest is partially funded by a generous grant from the George Gund Foundation.
Posted by Karen Oye on October 6, 2011 07:17 PM