Monthly Archive Index for KSL News Blog
Beta Testers Needed for New Search Experience
KSL is adopting the Summon search service to improve the access, speed and results of searching the library's collections. This search service includes the library's catalog holdings, as well as most databases, Digital Case, and more!
- - - - -
KSL Hours During Interim
Case and KSL celebrate the holidays this year with long weekends off, and during the week will be open with adjusted evening hours.
Between semesters, KSL is closed on Sundays, but our Interim evening weekday hours make it easy for you to pick up a book, drop off some items, talk with staff or simply enjoy some quiet time before the semester begins on January 17th.
• Tuesday - Thursday, Dec. 27, 28, 29: 8 am - 5:30 pm
• Fri - Mon, Dec. 30, 31, Jan. 1-2: Closed for New Year Holidays
• Tuesday - Thursday, Jan. 3, 4, 5: 8 am - 8:30 pm
• Friday, Jan. 6: 8 am - 5:40 pm
• Saturday, Jan. 7: 9 am - 5:30 pm
• Sunday, Jan. 8: Closed/Interim
• Mon - Thu, Jan. 9-12: 8 am - 8:30 pm
• Friday, Jan. 13: 8 am - 8 pm
• Saturday, Jan. 14: 9 am - 5:30 pm
• Sunday, Jan. 15: Closed/Interim
• Monday, Jan. 16: Closed, MLK Holiday
- - - - -
Now Online: Freedman Center Colloquium Videos
Now you can see and hear the colloquium if you weren't able to attend, or you can revisit some of the presenters from the November 7 & 8 Freedman Center Colloquium, Building A Culture for Digital Scholarship. Attendees heard speakers from across the country discuss new methods of collaboration and present diverse views of how research & publication are evolving.
Presenters showed the strengths of new collaborative, publishing, and research efforts. The closing panel voiced the challenges of tradition, vocabulary, and disciplines as authors, teachers & researchers make their way in new landscapes.
Enjoy the video capture of both days and explore the colloquium site!
Schedule & speaker biographies included.
- - - - -
Ancestry Library Database--New Research Spotlight
A new collaboration brings a new resource to those interested in history, immigration, family records, and more. Funded from a federal Institute of Museum and Library Services LSTA grant awarded to the State Library of Ohio, this one year pilot brings the new Ancestry database & others to Ohio researchers via the Libraries Connect Ohio project. KSL features it as a Research Spotlight.
Ancestry Library Edition includes digitized images of
• U.S. Federal Census (1790-1930)
• Passenger and Immigration Lists Index
• Military Records
• Vital Records back to the 1800s
• Obituary notices
• US, UK & Canadian records
Enter a name and city & retrieve information that otherwise might have taken you weeks, months, and travel to collect. Reader & printer-friendly tools and other features help you navigate and print easily.
Enjoy this Kelvin Smith Library Research Spotlight.
- - - - -
Cramelot Extended Hours: Finals & Winter Break
Take advantage of Cramelot's extended evening hours during exams. We'll be open later so you can have nourishment while you study! We'll also be open after the New Year holiday, during Winter Break, come on in and get a head start on a new year and a new semester.
• Sun, Dec. 11: 2 pm-Midnight
• Mon - Thu, Dec. 12-15: 11 am-Midnight
• Fri, Dec. 16: 11 am-8 pm
• Sat, Dec. 17: Closed
• Sun, Dec. 18: 2 pm-Midnight
• Mon - Tue, Dec. 19 & 20: 11 am-9 pm
• Wed - Thu, Dec. 21 & 22: 11 am-4 pm (exams over)
• Fri, Dec. 23 - Mon, Jan. 2: Closed
After the holidays, come in during Winter Break & get a head start on the next semester...or just enjoy a warm beverage and have lunch or snacks while you catch up on readings & meet with friends.
• Tue - Fri, January 3-6: 11 am-4 pm
• Sat - Sun, January 7-8: Closed
• Mon - Fri, January 9-13: 11 am-4pm
• Sat - Mon, January 14-16 Closed
Plan a visit to Cramelot, soon!
Spring Semester begins on Tuesday, January 17th & Cramelot returns to regular cafe hours.
- - - - -
Drop Off Your Posters for Printing
Kelvin Smith Library's popular posting printing service just got even better! Located on the first floor in our Freedman Center, you can now drop-off completed posters to be printed within 48 hours, 7 days a week, with no appointment necessary!
1. Bring in your completed poster file
2. We'll load it onto our station
3. Tell us how you want it (length, type of paper)
4. Pay for your poster at the Main Service Desk
5. We'll let you know when it's ready!
If you need a consultation with Ann Holstein, our poster printing expert, you’ll still need to set up a time. Visit our website for more information on this service and schedule an appointment.
- - - - -
Outsourcing & Offshoring Legal Services? Friday Public Affairs Discussion Group
Corporations and industry have been outsourcing for years in order to reduce costs while maintaining quality core competencies and services--has this business practice now reached the legal profession? Join in this end-of-semester Friday Public Affairs Discussion Group at KSL.
• Fri. Dec. 9, 12:30-1:30 pm: Outsourcing and Offshoring Legal Services
Cassandra Burke Robertson, J.D., School of Law, CWRU
Cassandra talks about the growing business practice in the legal business and how outsourcing might affect defendants' outcomes as well as a firm's practices. Can it be a win-win situation? Join us to hear & talk more about the risks, implications and a potential supply-demand cycle that may change the increasingly global legal profession.
Sponsored by the Center for Policy Studies, this discussion is held in the 2nd floor Dampeer Room 12:30 pm - 1: 30 pm. Visitors are welcome to take advantage of beverages & food items at the main floor Cramelot cafe in the library & bring them to the discussion.
The KSL location map also indicates an underground parking garage for visitors (fee), and nearby metered street parking, as available.
- - - - -