Monthly Archive Index for KSL News Blog
Enter your research images in our "Art of STEM" competition for a chance to win cash prizes!
Celebrate the creative nature of science! Kelvin Smith Library is now accepting submissions for "Art of STEM,"an art competition and exhibit presented in conjunction with the national "STEM to STEAM" movement that encourages the integration of art and design with science, technology, engineering and mathematics to fuel global innovation for a prosperous future.
“Art of STEM” challenges Case Western Reserve University faculty, students and staff to capture or visually communicate the beauty inherent to scientific enterprise and research investigation in the form of a digital image. The competition is also open to Cleveland Institute of Art students who collaborate with a member of the Case Western Reserve community, as well as any student in grades 9-12 who currently attends public, private or home school in Cuyahoga County.
Contestants are encouraged to submit the following types of images for entry in this competition:
- Images created by machines in a lab;
- Photographic images of nature, scientific phenomena, or people at work on a science-related project;
- Science-related hand drawn images;
- Computer-generated or digitally enhanced scientific images;
- Any other type of STEM-related image presented as art.
A jury of Case Western Reserve faculty and Cleveland-area art professionals will select the winning entries based on an evaluation of artistic merit, aesthetics, title creativity and description clarity.
Monetary prizes will be awarded as follows:
- 1st Place: $350
- 2nd Place: $200
- 3rd Place: $100
- Two awards of $50 will be awarded to high school student winners.
In addition to the competition, select images will be printed and displayed in an exhibit in the Kelvin Smith Library Art Gallery and other showcase areas throughout the library during March 2015. These entries will also be featured online in the library’s virtual art gallery.
Submissions are due by January 31, 2015. Visit http://library.case.edu/ksl/artofstem for complete contest rules and submission guidelines.
For more information, contact Daniela Solomon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 216-368-8790.
- - - - -
KSL Revised Thanksgiving Break Hours
Please note that Kelvin Smith Library will have the following revised hours for Thanksgiving Break.
- Wednesday, Nov. 26: Open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (KSL closes early, no 24x7 services)
- Thursday, Nov. 27: KSL Closed
- Friday, Nov. 28: KSL Closed
- Saturday, Nov. 29: KSL Closed
- Sunday, Nov. 30: Return to regular business hours and 24x7 services resume
Cramelot Cafe will also have revised hours during this time:
- Wednesday, Nov. 26: Open 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Closed Nov. 27 through Nov. 30
- Resumes regular hours on Monday, Dec. 1
Wishing you a safe and happy holiday from Kelvin Smith Library!
- - - - -