Monthly Archive Index for KSL News Blog
View the "Art of STEM" contest entries and winners at reception April 1
Celebrate the creativity of science! You are cordially invited to join us for the opening reception of the "Art of STEM" exhibit featuring the STEM-related digital images that were entered in our juried competition earlier this year.
Wednesday, April 1, 2015 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Kelvin Smith Library Art Gallery (1st floor)
Congratulations to our winners!
Case Western Reserve University Category
- 1st Place: Miarasa Steele, "Fibrosis in Blue"
- 2nd Place: Kristina Collins, "Color Code Authority"
- 3rd Place: Ailin Yu, "Formal Definition of the Laplace Transformation"
High School Student Category
- 1st Place: Stephanie Stephens, "A Self-Portrait Like No Other"
- 2nd Place: Chesaria Reffner, "Early Morning Dew Drops"
This event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Daniela Solomon at email@example.com.
- - - - -
IEEE Xplore Remote Access
IEEE has recently released a brand new option for IEEE Xplore digital library subscribers to access their subscription remotely.
IEEE Remote Access is now an option for IP authenticated customers to offer roaming access to users who need to access the institutional IEEE Xplore subscription off-site. This feature is now enabled for Case Western Reserve University. To take advantage of this feature, you must be able to access an IP authenticated WiFi.
Users can take advantage of roaming access by following these steps:
- 1. Bring the devices on-site in which they would like to access IEEE Xplore remotely
- 2. Access the institution’s WiFi (WiFi IP address must be listed on your IEEE Xplore account as an authorized, authenticated IP)
- 3. Visit the IEEE Xplore website
- 4. Go to My Settings, then Remote Access
- 5. Follow the instructions to pair your device. Users will be asked to sign in with an IEEE personal account before pairing.
- 6. This device can now be used off-site for 90 days to access IEEE Xplore. User must go to IEEE Xplore on the paired device and log in with their personal account to access the roaming subscription.
- 7. After 90 days, users will be prompted to again pair their device and can follow the same steps as the initial pairing.
- - - - -
KSL represents Cleveland in "Ohio Memory Madness" - Vote today!
In the spirit and fun of college basketball's March Madness, the Ohio History Connection and Kelvin Smith Library invite you to participate in Ohio Memory Madness - a bracket of sixty-four historical events from across the state all competing for the unique distinction of being named the 2015 Ohio Memory Madness Champion. Since the historical events featured in the bracket are unable to play tournament style basketball, the winner of Ohio Memory Madness will be determined by public online voting at: http://www.ohiohistoryhost.org/madness
Kelvin Smith Library is proud to represent Cleveland in this statewide competition. Our entry is an image from the Charles F. Brush papers. Brush was an early innovator in electric lighting, and he created the arc lamp, one of the most widely used electric lamps of the 19th century. KSL holds his papers in our special collections.
The public can vote throughout the tournament to be sure their favorite event image makes it to the championship – they can also enter to win a prize pack from the Ohio History Connection including tickets to the Ohio History Center in Columbus, a Retro Ohio t-shirt, and an assortment of Ohio munchies to enjoy while watching that other sport.
Don’t miss your chance to vote for the Ohio Memory Madness Champion! Your vote can make one of Ohio’s historical events go all the way this March.
- First round: March 17–20
- Round of 32: March 21-25
- Sweet 16: March 26-27
- Elite 8: March 28-30
- Final 4: April 2-4
- Championship: April 5-6
- - - - -