KSL Services & Spaces
Summer Collection Moves at KSL
Several collection moves will take place at Kelvin Smith Library over the course of the summer beginning Tuesday, May 21. Please be aware that during select days, movers will be working in the stacks and moving carts of books through the building. We will try to minimize disruption to library users as much as possible, but a certain amount of noise will be inevitable. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause. For more information, please call 216.368.2992 or email KSLadministration@case.edu.
- - - - -
Kelvin Smith Library Summer Session Hours
Summer hours at KSL begin Thursday, May 9. Our 24x7 services take a break too and will resume with the Fall 2013 semester.
Revised summer hours are as follows:
REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS*
- Sunday: Closed
- Monday - Thursday: 8am - 8pm
- Friday: 8am - 5pm
- Saturday: 9am - 5pm
*Please note that KSL will be closed for Memorial Day on Monday, May 27.
- Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 1:30pm
*Cramelot Cafe will be closed until Monday, June 3.
FREEDMAN CENTER FOR DIGITAL SCHOLARSHIP
- Monday - Thursday: 9am - 8pm
- Friday: 9am - 5pm
- Saturday: 12pm - 5pm
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS & HATCH READING ROOM
- Special Collections Reference Services through August 16, 2013: Monday - Friday, 1pm - 4:30pm (appointments strongly encouraged)
- Access to Special Collections materials: Monday - Friday, 9am - 12pm (by appointment only)
- Classes & presentations using Special Collections materials: Monday - Friday, 9am - 12pm and 1pm - 4:30pm (by appointment only)
- Hatch Reading room will be open for quiet study and to view exhibits: Monday - Friday, 9am - 4:30pm
- - - - -
New WEPA Kiosk at KSL!
We are pleased to announce that a new WEPA kiosk has been installed at Kelvin Smith Library! WEPA is a cloud printing network that allows anyone with an internet connection to upload documents and print anywhere a kiosk is located. WEPA kiosks can print directly from USB thumb-drives as well.
The WEPA kiosk at KSL has been installed on the first floor (along the wall where additional printers and copiers are located), bringing the total number of campus kiosks to 11!
Find all kiosk locations here.
Click here for more information.
- - - - -
Extended Cramelot Hours During Reading Days & Finals
Cramelot Cafe will have extended hours during Reading Days and final exams. The revised hours during this time are as follows:
- Tuesday, April 30 - Thursday, May 2: 11:00am - Midnight
- Friday, May 3: 11:00am - 8:00pm
- Saturday, May 4: Closed
- Sunday, May 5: 2:00pm - Midnight
- Monday, May 6 - Tuesday, May 7: 11:00am - Midnight
- Wednesday, May 8: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 9 - Friday, May 10: 11:00am - 4:00pm
For more information, please call 216-368-2992.
- - - - -
New Service for Faculty: OhioLINK and Interlibrary Loan Department Office Delivery
As part of our continued efforts to provide high quality and more convenient services for our faculty, KSL is offering a new service to academic departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, Case School of Engineering and Weatherhead School of Management. We are now prepared to deliver physical materials borrowed from OhioLINK and Interlibrary Loan to a secured location designated within your departmental office. Delivery will occur five days per week, usually within one business day, after KSL receipt.
If your department chooses to opt in for this service, you must agree to the following guidelines:
- Deliveries will be made daily, Monday-Friday, except on university holidays, winter and spring breaks, and during a specified time window.
- The department must identify a secure location for materials to be delivered. This location must be available for deliveries weekdays during normal business hours. KSL will work with your department to determine in advance the regular delivery schedule. The faculty member will receive an email notification that the materials have arrived, and unless otherwise noted, the materials will be delivered to the department office.
- Once delivered, the department will take full responsibility for the materials delivered, e.g., to ensure against damage or loss. The library cannot subsidize any loss that might occur once books are delivered to a departmental office. Any charges for lost or damaged items will be billed directly to the individual faculty member.
- Each faculty member within the department must declare in advance whether or not she or he wants to have OhioLINK books delivered to the academic department service or if the faculty member prefers to continue to pick up the books at the library. This choice will be for all items (e.g., a faculty member cannot choose to have some delivered and some picked up). If the choice is to have materials delivered, this will authorize library staff to check out loaned materials to the faculty member’s library account.
- Any materials (both OhioLINK and Interlibrary Loan) lent by another library that are designated at “restricted, building-use only” will be unavailable for campus delivery and must be used at KSL.
- This service is available at this time only for faculty materials in the College of Arts and Sciences, Case School of Engineering and Weatherhead School of Management. KSL-owned items will continue to be checked-out in person at KSL or by the faculty member's previously designated representative, such as a graduate teaching assistant (contact the KSL service center at 368-3506 for more information about setting up a designated representative).
Please let us know no later than Tuesday, April 2, 2013, if you are interested in having this service provided for your department by completing this online form. If we do not hear from you, your department faculty will not be included in the service at this time.
- - - - -
Overnight Loan for Collaboration Rooms Now Available!
In response to high demand from our student patrons, KSL is pleased to announce the launch of the Collaboration Room Overnight Loan pilot project. Students can now reserve Collaboration Rooms for overnight use to accommodate their group study needs.
Collaboration Rooms may be reserved by submitting a 24-hour advance reservation online or by visiting the Service Center in person. Nine rooms, each accommodating up to eight people, are located on KSL's third floor and lower level. These innovative spaces, equipped with whiteboards so students can take notes or be creative when other work is on the monitor, are sure to spark new energy for collaborative work!
Overnight loans will be distributed in the last hour of Regular Business Hours and will be due back by opening the next day. Access is for one group, per room, per overnight and keys are expected to be returned throughout the night to the Service Center desk.*
To make your Collaboration Room reservation, click here!
*Please note that failure to return keys on time will initiate overdue fines. A lost key will result in a $300 replacement fee.
- - - - -
O'Neill Reading Room to be used for Case for Community Day, Friday, Oct. 19
KSL will host one of the Case for Community Day events on Friday, October 19. A Reading Carnival will be located on the 2nd floor O'Neill Reading Room and Dampeer Room from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Study spaces will be available on the 1st and 3rd floors, or you can check out a Group Collaboration Room at the Welcome Desk. Access to the Collection and Graduate Research Commons will remain open during the event.
KSL is happy to welcome students from the Intergenerational School and Chambers Elementary School as well as Case volunteers for this event. To learn more about Case for Community Day 2012, visit http://case.edu/events/cfc/.
- - - - -