KSL Services & Spaces
View and Comment on KSL's Strategic Plan Draft for 2015-2018
Kelvin Smith Library is pleased to announce the availability of a draft for comment of the new KSL Strategic Plan for 2015-2018. The draft includes a brief summary of KSL’s accomplishments under the previous KSL Strategic Plan (2011-2014) upon which the new plan builds, an overview of the knowledge ecosystem that influenced the development of the goals and objectives of this plan, and the outline of the plan itself. The library’s mission, vision and values from the previous plan remain unchanged. The new plan has ten objectives under three goals:
- Goal 1: Research. Ignite discovery, research, and scholarship by aligning our expertise with the needs of researchers as they address the world’s most pressing needs. Within this goal, the objectives concern increased funding to purchase commercial content, expanding digital scholarship, focusing special collections and their services, enriching research services (particularly related to information literacy instruction), and addressing pressing needs regarding scholarly communications, open access, and open content.
- Goal 2: Learning. Spark student creativity and inquiry, and prepare students for leadership as scholars engaged in lifelong knowledge discovery, by enhancing learning through innovations in teaching and research. Within this goal, the objectives concern enhancing library spaces, developing new virtual spaces, and providing new library services of increasing value to the community.
- Goal 3: Shared and Collaborative Services. Improve the student and faculty learning and research experience by engaging with other information organizations on campus and the region. Within this goal, the objectives concern creating harmonious library experiences across all campus libraries, and expanding partnerships with CWRU and non-CWRU organizations and institutions.
Please note: The current draft intentionally does not include success metrics at either the goal or objective level. Metrics will be developed and after a revised plan is created based upon the comments we receive.
- - - - -
5 Things You Should Know About KSL!
With a new semester underway, the experts at KSL have curated 5 things each for undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty members to keep in mind about the library in 2015. Visit http://library.case.edu/ksl/newsletter/spring2015/ to view the KSL services, spaces and resources that can make life a little easier this year!
- - - - -
Additional quiet study spaces available in KSL during reading days and finals
To provide additional space for quiet study, Kelvin Smith Library will make rooms LL06 A & B available to students during reading days and finals.
Located on the library's lower level, these classrooms will be open overnight from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. beginning Monday, December 8, through Tuesday, December 16 (ending Wednesday, December 17 at 8:00 a.m.)
- - - - -
Stay on top of finals with KSL's "End of Semester Survival Guide"!
As the semester is winding down and the pressures of final exams are building, don't forget about the services and resources that Kelvin Smith Library has to offer! From our expert staff to comfortable study spaces, we have everything you need to get through this hectic time of year!
Visit bit.ly/survivefinalsKSL to view our guide to quiet and collaborative study areas, research assistance, tools & equipment, stress relief activities and more!
Follow along with additional tips and resources on Facebook and Twitter with #SurviveFinalsKSL.
- - - - -
Cramelot Cafe Fall Break Hours
Please note that Cramelot Cafe in Kelvin Smith Library will have revised hours beginning Sunday, October 26, during Case Western Reserve University's fall break. Cramelot will return to regular hours on Wednesday, October 29. See all revised hours below.
- - - - -
Study Spaces for Faculty and Graduate Students Available at Kelvin Smith Library
Current graduate students from the College of Arts and Sciences, Case School of Engineering and Weatherhead School of Management, and faculty from the College of Arts and Sciences are eligible to apply for study spaces at Kelvin Smith Library. These quiet spaces provide the opportunity to store and use personal research items in tandem with library materials.
Graduate student study carrels are assigned for the duration of the academic year, including the summer. Keys are assigned in Library Administration. For more information and to apply for a carrel, visit http://library.case.edu/ksl/facilities/carrels/studentcarrels.html.
Faculty study rooms are assigned by Library Administration for the duration of one academic year. Five individual rooms and a shared room that accommodates five faculty members are available, located on the library’s third floor. Keys are assigned in Library Administration. Interested faculty should apply by Friday, October 31, 2014. For more information, visit http://library.case.edu/ksl/facilities/facultystudyspace/.
- - - - -
Phone Chargers now Available for Loan!
In response to popular demand, Kelvin Smith Library now has phone chargers available for loan at the Service Center. The following chargers can be checked out for up to three hours of use within KSL:
- iPhone lightning cable (iPhone 5 & 6 compatible)
- Android compatible charger cable
- Mini-USB charger cable
- Chargers for Mac laptops are also available
- - - - -