October 06, 2011

Police beat and pepper-spray the Occupy Wall Street protestors

It looks like the trouble with the police that I feared has already begun.

Occupy Wall Street Arrests; Fox 5 Crew and Protesters Hit by Mace, Batons: MyFoxNY.com

The Guardian covered the march and also the clash with police, with more video.

Thus serving the Masters of the Universe who are plotting to destroy your pension is as fine an example of false consciousness as one could hope to find.

Posted by Steve LaBonne on October 6, 2011 05:27 PM

Mano,
I drove to NY to join the protest last weekend. My sign was "Obama: stop milking the bull." It got a lot of laughs and photos. Overall, the police seemed bored and annoyed at having to be there. I had a long friendly talk with one officer who complained about being forced to work overtime at the protest.
At one point we were asked to step back a few steps to provide more space on the sidewalk for people to walk past. We obeyed this reasonable request and there were no issues.
Overall, I was disappointed by the protest. There was a group of libertarians on one corner. I asked them what common ground they thought they had with the group of socialists on the other corner. No coherent answer. Then there were plenty of random silly demands: cancel all consumer debt, cancel my student loans, the government should provide jobs for everyone, send all the bankers to jail, etc.
The Colbert clip you linked to was not accurate: the informed and realistic protesters were few and far between. I can see why it was so easy for Fox News to mock the protesters. Hopefully the movement can coalesce into something with a coherent set of realistic demands.

Posted by Robert Allen on October 10, 2011 12:48 PM

On Sept. 17, 2011 the 99 percent converged on Wall Street to let the 1 percent know how frustrated they are with living in a world they believe is incompatible with achieving their dreams. And I'm here to invite you, the 99 percent, to consider - just for a brief moment - the possibility that you are the creator of your reality and your dreams can be achieved to any degree that you allow yourself to experience JOY.

Posted by Cal Emerson on October 11, 2011 01:15 AM

Steve, why would anyone rely on a pension? That's like being upset because the pyramid scheme of the social security scam has caused it to dry up... why put your future in a pension plan or any of that which depends on other people?

Posted by Cal Emerson - Occupy Wall Street Protest Protestor on October 11, 2011 01:18 AM

"Steve, why would anyone rely on a pension?"

The retired ones and those people who sacrificed their lives to uphold the greatness of this country surely need monthly allowances.

Posted by Melly Lifshitz on October 20, 2011 02:27 PM