October 13, 2011

When turkeys attack

Who're you gonna call? The USPS, of course.

That is one aggressive turkey. (Via Boing Boing)

I have hunch this turkey has had contact with people and may not be as aggressive as the lady implies. I think he just wants to hang out, or maybe get a hand-out. What a turkey! How funny!

Posted by Peggy on October 13, 2011 05:10 PM

My family raised a couple of turkeys over the years and they can be aggressive. Ours would get all excited if he spotted you on your bike. His tail feathers would fan out and he would come running after you whilst gobbling. We also had a goose (Tweety, who wound up on the Thanksgiving or Christmas table) who was aggressive. I was bent over one evening trying to fetch something out from under the front steps when I felt something at my back. I turned around and there was the goose going ape shit behind me. If he caught you with his beak, he could leave a nice bruise. One nice thing about the goose was that he would chase off the Jehovah's Witnesses. My mother saw him chasing a couple down the driveway one day.

Posted by David on October 13, 2011 09:51 PM

Not sure that I would see this as an "attack" ... it's only a turkey after all! I've seen a lot of large wild turkeys and if you confront them they quickly back down and leave ... but I guess if you run away they must chase.

Posted by durham on October 14, 2011 06:23 AM

Shalom Mano,

I had ducks that would chase high school students when they walked in front of our house. All you have to do is face the bird, stamp your foot once or twice and you're good to go.

B'shalom,

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Hess on October 14, 2011 07:55 AM

Lol, more like "That is one ignorant person". We raise turkeys and if they are cared for properly are very social animals. They usually want their heads scratched or a treat. If they ever are aggressive all you have to do is shout, clap, or give it a gentle but firm push with your foot and they will go away.

I bet this lady tried to get something out of the turkey owner.

Posted by James on October 14, 2011 09:11 AM

He looks delicious. I know what I'm having for lunch. :)

Posted by Tadas on October 14, 2011 12:02 PM

The biggest turkey in that video is the one holding the camera. Turkeys may be heavy, but that bird was hardly a threat. It's not like it was guarding a nest or something where it needed to be protective.

I've encountered roosters that really were aggressive, jumping and aiming their spurs without provocation. A good strong foot into their chests always did the job, or even an open handed smack to the head if you've got good aim.

.

Posted by P Smith on October 14, 2011 02:32 PM

I'm not sure but I think that may be a Jake, a young not fully mature male turkey. I have some friends that have wild turkeys running across their property on a regular basis and I've seen the different types. They've et a few fer Thanksgiving (I would have went out and shot one myself but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it and I don't think I'm as skilled as my friend's husband to nail one with a 22 in the head). And @Tadas, I'd like to try one of theirs cooked up in a deep fryer. I do love fish (trout and salmon) and fishing though. That much I can manage to stomach. Nothing like alder wood smoked salmon, and it's good fer you too!

Posted by David on October 14, 2011 08:12 PM

Wow loved the video, Im going to be thinking of this on Thanksgiving...

Posted by Trent on November 21, 2011 08:04 PM

Posted by Angelina on November 22, 2011 09:18 PM