November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

I hope all of you have a quiet and enjoyable day with family and friends, which is what I will be doing.

What I will not be doing this weekend is going anyway near any store. Recession, depression, or good times, the madness of shopping that accompanies this weekend is what I hate most about this otherwise wonderful holiday.

Here, here! I totally agree!

Posted by Mary Ann on November 25, 2011 11:46 AM

Happy thanksgiving to you too! I am just the same. Shopping gives me a migraine! ugh! epic music

Posted by Luc on November 25, 2011 02:52 PM

Agreed. The Occupy movement has acted with telling insight in targeting shopping activities this weekend. They understand the nexus between corporate greed and the consumer culture. I doubt they will make any headway, but it is at least encouraging that some part of our society is becoming consciously aware of the diseases that afflict it.

Our local Fox affiliate did its usual, masterful job of distracting the citizenry by covering all the wonderful bargains that are available to us. We are here but to shop. We have no other value or meaning. Or, as one of the Occupiers' placards ironically put it, "Everything is alright. You can go back to shopping."

Posted by Richard Frost on November 25, 2011 03:40 PM