December 05, 2011

Sleep

I like to sleep. I need a minimum of eight hours a night. But it is not just the good feeling that comes with resting that I find attractive. I really enjoy sleeping, the sensation of drowsing off, and usually have no difficulty doing so anywhere at any time, even on cramped airline seats on long flights. On weekends, I take a long nap after lunch and sometimes take a short nap seated up at my desk during the weekday.

I used to worry that this was a sign that I was lazy but learned later that most people don't get enough sleep and that this can really be harmful.

Here is a 60 Minutes report on the importance of getting enough sleep every day.

Now comes a new study that suggests that the variations in sleep needs can be traced to the influence of a specific gene.

I learned from the news report that Einstein needed 11 hours of sleep per night, which makes me a real slacker in the sleep department.

Oh no! Parents of young children and teenagers are doomed! ;-D

Posted by Tim on December 6, 2011 08:21 AM

Dr.:

Thank you VERY much for sharing this report! I always knew sleep was important but did not know it could kill if deprived.

I think I'll go catch a quick nap right now. Thanks for letting me know the devastating consequences of sleep deprivation.

-C

Posted by Chach The Plumber In Honolulu on December 9, 2011 09:40 PM

I'm usually not a fan of 60 minutes, but I saw that report when it originally aired and really enjoyed it. Research also suggests that sleep deprivation may disrupt normal (healthy) hormone production and distribution. This can cause a bunch of negative side effects, like weight gain!

Posted by Adjustable Beds on December 22, 2011 05:48 PM

While the video is quite valid, it does not include the fact that need for sleep is usually also age related.
The older you get the less sleep you may need.
Keith

Posted by Keith Jones on January 5, 2012 02:15 AM