« How to send a Cookie with an xmlHttpRequest from IE | Main | vi Ninjas »

September 10, 2007

RealPlayer 11 Beta

I had to install Realplayer 11 Beta on some older machines to be imaged, and it was exhibiting some peculiar behavior. The executable forked (or whatever the windows equivalent might be) and was running two instances of itself. The one instance was spiking at around 97% to 100% CPU usage, and the other one was using what was left. I left the install run for about 30 minutes and it had only made it to 60% completion. Here is where it gets really weird...

By accident I drug the task manager over the installer window so that it covered the picture area where the installer was trying to show animations or something. At this point the second instance of the installer process jumped up to around 30% CPU usage and the install finished in a couple minutes. I was doing it on two machines at the same time so I did the same thing to the other one. The second machine was just starting the install (around 10% done or so) but it also reacted the same way. When I drug the task manager over the animation area it began using more CPU on the second process and finished installing in a couple minutes.

I'm guessing maybe this has something to do with DirectX? Maybe placing one window over the other meant RP could not access that part of video memory, or meant it returned false for some "is visible" type of boolean test? I had installed RealPlayer 11 Beta on a couple newer machine last week and it did not do this... Any thoughts are welcome.

Posted by stm at September 10, 2007 09:10 AM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/stm/mt-tb.cgi/15280

i want RealPlayer11BETA

Posted by: mohamed at March 30, 2008 09:17 PM

¡Comment registration is required but no TypeKey token has been given in weblog configuration!